Having a problem inserting a SD card into my D90

I've had my D90 for about 6 months now and this is the first problem I have encountered with it.
Whenever I try and put a SD/memory card into the slot in the camera, it will not click/lock into place.
I get an error message that's shows as [CHA] which in the owners manual says it's a bad memory card.
But when I push the playback button a hourglass appears and eventually says that the memory card is locked.
When I checked the memory card it wasn't locked, so I then inserted another memory card and got the same results.
Any way to "quick fix" this or do I need to send it to a Nikon repair facility to have it fixed?
(probably the same one that Marilynne used in south Florida, unless I can find one closer to me in north Florida or Georgia)

Any help, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Wiley

Do you always format it in-camera before you shoot?
Yes! I get off work and then go and shoot, then when I get home I take the SD card out of the camera and insert it into the SD slot on the computer.
After I post some shots to Facebook and here I delete the images on the card an put it back nto the D90. Then I always format the card, and then turn
the camera off. Until I am ready to get out and shoot something else.

Thanks

Wiley

Last edited:
Is there something in your slot
I can't see anything, and I have peered down there with a very bright light.
But I'm a little afraid of sticking anything down in there to try and dislodge
whatever if anything may be in there. I'm thinking repair facility time.

Thanks

Wiley

fotojack

Yes! I get off work and then go and shoot, then when I get home I take the SD card out of the camera and insert it into the SD slot on the computer.
After I post some shots to Facebook and here I delete the images on the card an put it back into the D90. Then I always format the card, and then turn
the camera off. Until I am ready to get out and shoot something else.

Thanks

Wiley

When you finish with your SD card in the computer, don't delete anything from the card. Just stick it in the camera and format. Turn off the camera first before you stick it in the slot. Then turn on camera/format/turn off camera. NEVER take the card out or install card with the camera on.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Here's the link for Southern Photo Technical Services in Miami. My D5100 was still under warranty so there was no charge and they even cleaned the sensor for free. TedG recommended the place.
HOME - SPTS

Phillydog1958

When you finish with your SD card in the computer, don't delete anything from the card. Just stick it in the camera and format. Turn off the camera first before you stick it in the slot. Then turn on camera/format/turn off camera. NEVER take the card out or install card with the camera on.

So true, Jack and it's very easy to forget when you're shooting, but I try my best to never change a lens or remove or place an SD card into my camera, when it's on.

It looks like I won't be taking a road trip all the way down to Miami to go to Southern Photo Technical Services after all.
It turns out that they have an office here in North Florida too, I called them today and am dropping off my D90 Monday.
The standard cost to Replace the card door, replace the card holder assembly, Clean, Lube, Repair and Adjust all
functions to meet manufacturers specifications is $199.00

I took my D90 into the local Southern Photo Technical Services office today and was told it would be ready one week from today.
I can hardly wait!

I just recieved a call from Southern Photo Technical Services advising me that my D90 is ready to be picked up and is as good as/if not better than new.
I am so happy that this long awaited day has finally arrived.

Last edited: