New J3 - Pentax K Lenses Adapter

frogwash

Just picked up a Nikon J3..! Have at least 3 lenses from my old Pentax SLR and purchased an adapter ring. But... After putting the adapter ring on and attaching the lens from the Pentax "K" mount, the J3 gives me an arror msg saying: "Check Lens, pictures can only be taken when lens is attached".. Is there a way to disable the electronic detection system from the body to the lens? Bypass!!?

Thanks!

Somersetscott

I started with the J1 and looked into all of these 'cheap' fixes or add-ons and quickly found they are pretty useless. The link posted says J1 and not J3 - Not sure if this is the exact one you bought but as the two bodies are different that might be the problem.

Also the manufacturer may have only tested it on a J1 and advertised J3 as it has the same fitment.

As you're getting an error messege I would not use it, - you never know it may cause more damage to the body!

I tried and tried to push my J1 futher, and in the end realised - I wanted a DSLR..

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Are you running the latest firmware? I know when the f mount adapter (FT-1) came out the original mirrorless cameras needed an update for it to work at all. This update also includes a fix for the FT-1 and AF-C focus mode, but that doesn't really mean anything for your purposes.

It does say that the compatibility is only for the J1 and V1. I'm guessing that if the above update doesn't work then you're out of luck for now.

frogwash

Thanks all... Mechanically it fits perfect. The bayonet is identical from the J1 thru the J3. I have not looked at the electronic contacts inside the opening where the lens mounts (or to see if there are any) on the J1 & J2. But there is an array of them inside the mount on the camera and matching contacts on the lens that make electrical contact when the lens is mounted. I will try the firmware upgrade and see if that solves it. I would think there would be a setting within the camera software I could change telling it to bypass a lens without an automatic aperture feature. Makes sense to me! I assume that is what the contacts are for. Am I wrong? Mechanically it is perfect though. I picked up this camera mainly because it is small in form factor... we are motorcycle riders and take lots of rides and vacations. Wanted something a bit more flexible and portable but not just a point and shoot. Also thought it would be nice to be able to use these nice lenses that have been sitting around for years!!

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
okay, I did some more searching. Did you try setting everything to manual (manual exposure, focus) on the J3?

frogwash

I thought I did that... but may not have set everything to manual. I just purchased the camera a few days ago and not real familiar with it. I did rotate the "mode dial" on the top of the camera to what I thought was a manual setting but don't think there is a setting there that actually disables the automatic mode. Then ran out of time... got the error msg. I think I need to disable any automatic setting rendering it strictly manual that has anything to do with the lens.

frogwash

OK..! What a breakthru today..! Figured out how to turn off automatic mode and the len(s) work great.. I thought I had done that before but didn't finish the process. Thanks to all... and if anyone wants to know how its done, Let me know. I have it down.... sorta