Shooting Fireworks

Smoke

Ok, so I have my new D5200, I'm a greenhorn to photography....I would like take pics of fireworks night coming up. Should I try and adjust all the individual settings myself or put it on Auto or put in on night mode.......? I do have a tripod and a wireless shutter release. I have the kit lens 18-55mm. Any help would be appreciated.

Horoscope Fish

Ok, so I have my new D5200, I'm a greenhorn to photography....I would like take pics of fireworks night coming up. Should I try and adjust all the individual settings myself or put it on Auto or put in on night mode.......? I do have a tripod and a wireless shutter release. I have the kit lens 18-55mm. Any help would be appreciated.
Excellent article on the subject: How to Photograph Fireworks

Mfrankfort

Shutter speed around 3-5 seconds. 5 for bigger fireworks, 1-3 for the ones you get drunk and light off. Aperture... usually around 5-7.. or try to play around with it. But try to keep shutter around 1-5. And just make sure you use the tripod and a little luck with getting the right spot helps. I usually use 100-400 ISO. Just my two cents.

Mfrankfort

Orrrr.. just read that article. lol. They said higher aperture. Guess whatever the little camera dial tells you should work, unless your getting houses and stuff in the background you want in focus.

WyoDuner

I just read the article Horoscope Fish posted a link to and it seems pretty much right on. Tripod, ISO 100, middle range aperture, remote shutter release and not mentioned so far in this discussion - BULB MODE. On top of that I would be sure to turn long exposure noise reduction off otherwise you will be waiting much longer between shots.

Oh also, I would pre-focus on something where the fireworks are going to be and then set the lens to manual focus and leave it there and probably best to shoot in RAW so white balance can be corrected in post processing.

Last edited: