Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX First Shots

TedG954

My new lens came today, so I headed out to the park to practice with it. There is a learning curve for me, since there's no AF. Fortunately, the D5100 has the RTG in-focus light in the view finder (though it took me a while to remember it). So far, I like this lens and I'm glad to have it. I believe it will replace my trusty 'ol 18-55 in my light-travel-camera-bag. The 18-55 will not be cast aside as it is an excellent lens for the D5100 and the 12-24 won't fit for all occasions. Here's some photos from today's hike, some of which seemed vertical. Whew!

View attachment 41138

View attachment 41139

View attachment 41140

View attachment 41141

Michael J.

Such a great lens and photographer too.

Ted may I ask you a favor?

Can you take a landscape with that lens on your D5100 and post it ooc - No processing. I would like to see the over all performance - In my mind I wanna buy that lens.

Thanks

RockyNH_RIP

Very nice Ted.. I was kind of holding out for the 11-16.. but then after seeing these not so sure.. Nice..

Maybe take a comparison trio, one at 12, one at 24 and a 3rd with the 18-55 at 18???

Be nice to see the total range and also how much wider than the 18...

This may be a better range than the 11-16 too...

Pat in NH

mikeh32217

I also have this lens and made a trip to N. GA this past week and it is an amazing lens. Taken atop Brasstown Bald.

Brasstown Bald.jpg

Ironwood

I am another one thats getting ready to buy a wide angle lens. After reading many many reviews and opinions, I had decided it would be the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 II.

But having second thoughts and deciding I also want a new macro lens soon as well, I am thinking maybe a 2nd hand wide angle first, then the macro sooner rather than later.
There are quite a few of these 12-24's and the older 11-16's coming up, but very few of the newer 11-16's.

So your photos have got me thinking Ted. What was it that made you choose this lens ? I am thinking it may be the useable range of 12 out to 24, which makes it a handier walkaround lens than the 11-16.
I am just not sure I would use the wide lens for a walkaround so much, thats what I got my 16-85 for, so possibly for me the slightly wider 11 could be better for my wants.

Oh, the choices, what to do ? :confused-new:

TedG954

As I said earlier, the Tokina 11-16 was my first choice.

It has exceptional reviews and the II is AF. The Tokina 12-24 has also gotten some good reviews but I was concerned with it being manual focus. After entering my learning curve today, I don't think the non-AF is really a problem at all.

I already have the Nikon 16-35 for my D800, but I wanted something for my D5100. I use my D5100 almost as much as my D800, and particularly when size and weight is an issue. Today's hike was sometimes steep down and back up again, plus climbing over rocks. Carrying my D800 and various lenses is heavy and far more expensive. Thus, my trusty D5100. I take photos for the overall scene and effects. I don't sell them. I don't have to please anyone but me. I don't check the corners with a magnifying glass. I'm a hack, and I'm a happy hack.

Sooooo..... when I got serious about an UW for DX, I did my research and decided, at $300, the Tokina 12-24 was the best bang for the buck. And I believe I got a good deal on a decent lens. The "professional reviewers" are far more knowledgeable than me, so I'd suggest you just Google your choices.

While f/2.8 is a nice feature, f/4 is plenty for my type of photos. I'm mostly outdoors with plenty of light. The Tokina 12-24 appears to be very well made. I believe today's photos will be the worst ones I'll take with this lens as I will become more comfortable with time.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes.

Last edited: