Nikkon "D" Type Lenses v "G" Type

Nathan Lanni

I got a general 18-200 lens for quick snaps and all around use, but I was looking at Nikkon "D" style lenses that allows setting my f-stops on the lens itself (an old dog runs back to what he knows :) ). Are many people using those with the d7000 of d7100 class or camera, or am I jumping up into FX territory?

Also, I was looking at other brands like Tamron. It looks like they're compatible.

nickt

D lenses will work and can be found cheaper. I have the 50mm 1.8 D lens. I'm pretty sure you can never use the aperture ring, if that's what you are specifically looking to do. It needs to be locked at the highest aperture and the camera controls it or you can control it from the camera in A or M with the front wheel. I can't speak for all D lenses though, I only have the 50. Pretty sure that's the deal for all of them though.

jwstl

I'm pretty sure you can never use the aperture ring, if that's what you are specifically looking to do. It needs to be locked at the highest aperture and the camera controls it or you can control it from the camera in A or M with the front wheel. I can't speak for all D lenses though, I only have the 50. Pretty sure that's the deal for all of them though.

You can use the aperture ring on the D7000 if you want. Change custom setting f6.

Nathan Lanni

D lenses will work and can be found cheaper. I have the 50mm 1.8 D lens. ..., if that's what you are specifically looking to do. It needs to be locked at the highest aperture and the camera controls it or you can control it from the camera in A or M with the front wheel. I can't speak for all D lenses though, I only have the 50. Pretty sure that's the deal for all of them though.

Yes, I'm an old dog and manual aperture control was really easy. I take it your 50mm 1.8 D lens is Nikon?

I'll need to get well versed using the interactive menus/controls on this camera in order to tap its potential.

You can use the aperture ring on the D7000 if you want. Change custom setting f6.

I browsed my d7100 custom controls and didn't see it. Likely overlooked it.

nickt

Yes, I'm an old dog and manual aperture control was really easy. I take it your 50mm 1.8 D lens is Nikon?

I'll need to get well versed using the interactive menus/controls on this camera in order to tap its potential.

I browsed my d7100 custom controls and didn't see it. Likely overlooked it.
yes, its a Nikon from my film days.

I thought I had the menus nearly memorized, but totally missed the f6 setting. Yours might be menu f-something else, not sure on the d7100. I never bothered exploring that option. Only one D lens in my bag and pretty I'm used to using the front command wheel.

Nathan Lanni

yes, its a Nikon from my film days.

I thought I had the menus nearly memorized, but totally missed the f6 setting. Yours might be menu f-something else, not sure on the d7100. I never bothered exploring that option. Only one D lens in my bag and pretty I'm used to using the front command wheel.

Please don't be offended by my LOL.

I've done that sort of thing a million times so I could totally relate. Thanks again for your help.

Curious, does your d7000 allow manual aperture control in the menus or using a dial?

nickt

Please don't be offended by my LOL.

I've done that sort of thing a million times so I could totally relate. Thanks again for your help.

Curious, does your d7000 allow manual aperture control in the menus or using a dial?
Its very similar to yours, the front command wheel changes the aperture in manual or aperture priority. (unless you have an old D lens and choose the new-found menu option.:redface-new: )