Default AF Setting

Nathan Lanni

I've been working with my AF settings and the issue I keep having is the camera reverts back to factory default of AFA Auto, even when making minor adjustments.

Reading through the manual, I would like to find a way to set a new default, such as AFA S, or AFS 9, but I prefer S due to the control of the focus point.

It's easy enough to change the setting but it's rather annoying to have to reset it so often. Should I assign a button?

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Hmmmm... I am not sure why it resets, mine does not. I normally have mine set to AF-S and it never changes unless I change it to AF-C. Once I set a mode, it stays put....

How are you changing the setting?

Pat in NH

Horoscope Fish

I've never had my AF settings "reset" on me either. I think you need to walk us through, step-by-step what you're doing, what happens and when the reset of your AF setting occurs.

WhiteLight

I think your problem as pointed out by Nickt is that you are in auto or auto-type mode where the camera decides the AF option for you.
Try taking a pic in Manual mode just to see if this still reverts.. don't think it would

Nathan Lanni

While shooting my son's graduation, I switched between Auto and Auto-Non Flash (now I know I should have been using a couple of Scene modes), and flipping between regular viewfinder and Live Mode shooting pics and video. At different times I was switching back and forth between a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR and a AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. Both lenses were new.

It was really strange because even though I'd set it up as AF-A S, w/ focus lock on it seemed to be hunting faces.

Maybe I just need to a factory reset to all defaults, or maybe based on what you guys are saying something could be wrong with the camera? I got a good deal on a new d7100 body only less than a week ago.

Last edited:

nickt

While shooting my son's graduation, I typically used Auto-Non Flash (now I know I should have been using a couple of Scene modes), and flipping between regular viewfinder and Live Mode shooting pics and video. At different times I was switching back and forth between a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR and a AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. Both lenses were new.

It was really strange because even though I'd set it up as AF-A S, w/ focus lock on it seemed to be hunting faces.

Maybe I just need to a factory reset to all defaults, or maybe based on what you guys are saying something could be wrong with the camera? I got a good deal on a new d7100 body only less than a week ago.
Nothing wrong. In auto mode or scene modes, any focus mode settings you make will disappear and the camera will return to the default for these modes once you leave and come back or shut down. Time to try P, S or A. P is a good start. Similar to auto, but remebers your focus and iso settings. If you need flash, you just pop it up.

Nathan Lanni

Nothing wrong. In auto mode or scene modes, any focus mode settings you make will disappear and the camera will return to the default for these modes once you leave and come back or shut down. Time to try P, S or A. P is a good start. Similar to auto, but remebers your focus and iso settings. If you need flash, you just pop it up.

Cool - that's a relief. I wasn't looking forward to doing a return.

I'm thinking now I should have been on manual focus anyway due to the complexity of the scene. But keeping a constant eye on the viewfinder was out of the question because of my camera placement. The seating arrangements were a real pain. I wanted to seat my family and then set up the camera in the same area as a couple pro's were setup but they wouldn't let me - go figure :p. So I had to set up my camera on the tripod pretty much at the end of range for my 300mm and could only monitor Live View from a foot away down low and try not block other people's view of the stage.

Horoscope Fish

I agree with Nickt, nothing wrong with your camera.

You have to remember while in "Auto" the camera makes *ALL* the important decisions. ALL of them; including your AF mode. "Scene Modes" are just variations on "Auto" in that you are basically telling the camera what sort of circumstances you're shooting in, but the decisions are still made by the camera.

If you want to maintain creative control, learn to shoot in P, S, A or M modes. Program Mode is probably the easiest to start learning on since the camera suggests aperture/shutter speed combinations that guarantee proper exposure.

Nathan Lanni

You guys are great. I really appreciate the help and I totally agree with you.

I think I might have been somewhat intimidated because the dslr camera was new and I am unfamiliar with the settings. I kept thinking "I wish I had a month or so to play with this camera!", rather than just a few days.

The other factor is the last time I did any serious photography was years ago was with a 35mm slr. It's a different world.

Last edited:

nickt

You guys are great. I really appreciate the help and I totally agree with you.

I think I might have been somewhat intimidated because the dslr camera was new and I am unfamiliar with the settings. I kept thinking "I wish I had a month or so to play with this camera!", rather than just a few days.

The other factor is the last time I did any serious photography was years ago was with a 35mm slr. It's a different world.
Well, you have already taken a first step in desiring to change focus modes from what Auto chooses. Auto almost always also wants flash and puts you in auto-iso. P will work fine. I suggest to use manual iso for now in P mode. Try for the lowest iso possible that still gives you an acceptable shutter speed. You can quickly boost iso as needed. At some future point when you learn how high of an iso you are willing to accept, then you could try auto-iso with limits that you define. Same as film, higher iso is prefered if you have enough light.

'P' makes good choices for everyday shooting. As you review your shots, start thinking if you would have rather had a slower or faster shutter speed or more or less depth of field/blurred background. When you start having those thoughts, its time to try Aperture or Shutter priority.