Buffer fills up rather quickly (Jpeg Fine)

Omri G.

Hi,
According to the user's manual, the buffer can accomodate up to 33 Jpeg-Fine quality photos (which is how I shoot).

Unfortunatly, the buffer is filled after only 7-8 photos (taken in CH mode), with ISO values between 200-400.

I've tried shooting RAW (14 bit, 12 bit and lossy), and got roughly the same results.

As to the user's manual, itdescribes the buffer capacity to be around 33 (at 100 ISO).

Is this the way it's suppose to work?

Thanks,
​Omri

Omri G.

Thanks, but I don't think so.
It states that the buffer fills up with 7-8 RAW photos (12 or 14 bit).

I got it filled with 7-8 JPEGs...

AC016

This is an "issue" that has been well known since the D7100 was first tested. I am curious as to what you are taking pictures of and needing 33jpegs in one burst??? Anyhow, there are a few remedies that you can try, which you can find by doing a quick google search. Good luck

Omri G.

thanks ACO.
I shoot mainly sports (car and motorcycle races).
I certainly don't need 33 photos, however, 7 or 8 are not enough.
I'd be quite satisfied with 15 or so (please bear in mind, that the CH mode offers a 7 fps rate, so after only one second, the buffer is full)

Thanks, I'll look around

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I guess the next question is are you using a class 10 SDHC card or similar? Images still have to be written out of the buffer and on to the card at a fast rate. Are you using two cards?

RockyNH_RIP

thanks ACO.
I shoot mainly sports (car and motorcycle races).
I certainly don't need 33 photos, however, 7 or 8 are not enough.
I'd be quite satisfied with 15 or so (please bear in mind, that the CH mode offers a 7 fps rate, so after only one second, the buffer is full)

Thanks, I'll look around

Also, if you read the fine print regarding the buffer... It states the Jpeg buffer specs are based on "size Priority Compression". There are 2 settings for Prioity and the other is "Optimal Quality" which you will likely want...

What you are seeing is as others have stated, relatively norm... I have gone to a faster card (read expensive) and also do short burst, 3 or 4 shots, pause.. 3 or 4 more. That helps if you can live with that.

If you set to a lower quality jpeg, and the Size Priority, you will sacrifice quality for speed.. try and see how that quality is, can you live with it for those shots??

Pat in NH

AC016

Okay, that is a releif. I really thought you needed 33 shots in a burst, lol:) Yes, i have the 7100 to and i do know what you are talking about. One thing that you can do, is turn off any un-needed in camera photo processing. You can also get some faster SD cards. Another thing you can do, is to use the crop mode, which will give you 15-16mp files and will be a bit easier on the buffer. There is also a chance that a new firmware will cure the problem somewhat.

Omri G.

Thanks guys,
I'll get my XD 96 Mb/sec card on Thursday, see if it helps.
I really don't want to lower quality, And thinking maybe Pat's idea, of limiting the bursts to just 3- or 4 is a better compromise.
As I'm learning over and over again, photography is all about compromises...

Hope I can find Modus Vivendy with this one...(-:

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks guys,
I'll get my XD 96 Mb/sec card on Thursday, see if it helps.
I really don't want to lower quality, And thinking maybe Pat's idea, of limiting the bursts to just 3- or 4 is a better compromise.
As I'm learning over and over again, photography is all about compromises...

Hope I can find Modus Vivendy with this one...(-:

Good Luck and keep us posted.. Let us know how that card works out too.. (I have one also, helps but not a total solution..)

Pat in NH