Hot/dead pixel in D7000?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Do you have a d7000 and have one or more hot pixel with video or pictures? I'm just curious how many people are experiencing this issue.

AfterImage

Zero dead or hot pixels here. I just did an extensive shoot in Gettysburg Pa and the D7000 performed amazingly well. It was my first real outting with that camera and I came back not only impressed but admiring the pro-level quality in a prosumer priced camera. Nikon knocked it out of the park with this one.

ldegreef

AfterImage - Can you tell me which SD cards you are using in the D7000 for your shoots? Thanks

As far as I can tell I have not experienced any Hot/dead pixels in my D7000.

AfterImage

My main card is a Delkin Class 10 4Gig and the back up is a PNY Class 6 4 Gig.
(note- these are cheap cards, less then $20 each. The Delkin works well in the D7000 for images but I plan on upgrading to a larger "better branded" card in the near future)

Budding

Hi there

I'm replying from the UK, where supplies of the D7000 are only just arriving into our stores.

Took delivery of my D7000 last night, and can confirm that it does have a dead pixel (centre right). This appears on video footage only and is definately still there when you view content back on a PC etc.

I've called my dealer who is going to source a replacement.

I've Google'd around and there do appear to be quite a large number of people reporting this issue - hope my replacement isn't the first of many...

Thanks for raising this jdeg.

Regards

JA

G

I just took three pictures with lens cap on (sure way to test for dead pixels). I have none not one. FYI as I see a lot of this going around....

manuel val

I bought the d7000 in Mexico City where i live, and I also have 4 hot or stuck pixel only in live view with Iso 800 or more. Does anyone knows what will happen to have a solution.
I also experience the problem recording video full HD 30 fps with a 8 GB sandisk card HC, i can only record about 10 seconds and then the recording stops. If I record on 1080x720 30 fps this will not happen. But I also use a 2 GB not HC card and this problem does not exist.
any comments or solutions.
gracias amigos

AfterImage

I'm not sure but I don't think there is a home brew fix for dead pixels. 4 seems like a lot, especially straight out of the box. The camera is new, I would see what Nikon can do to fix this for you. Most manufacturers have a threshold on the number of dead pixs before they will fix but if you contact them and explain the situation carefully, politely but firmly you can sometimes get them to bend the rules a bit.

(PS. I answered your SD card question in the other thread)

reflectedpixel

I got my D7000 a week ago, Didn't notice any hot pixels at first. Then just a couple days ago I started seeing what I thought was a laser shooting at my subject when I played back the video. Bright red pixel just to the right of center. Still Images look great however.

imnunky

I recently inquired to Nikon re the pixel issue and below is the reply
What are thoughts on having to Firmware update a brand new out of box unit,

HI

We have received reports from some users of the Nikon D7000 digital SLR camera regarding the occurrence of noticeable bright spots with movie recording under certain conditions.

Nikon believes that these bright spots are not normally noticeable, and therefore do not indicate a problem with practical use. However, with further investigation of the reports received, we have confirmed that bright spots may be noticeable when recording movies of especially dark scenes or subjects.

In order to provide our customers with better products, Nikon is currently preparing to release a firmware upgrade with measures to reduce the occurrence of these bright spots for the D7000. We hope to have the firmware available before the end of the year.

Of course at high ISO settings, extreme conditions or slow shutter speeds you may continue to see bright spots in some movies and still photos. Please see:

Answer Title: What are defect pixels?
Answer Link: What are defect pixels?

If you see these spots under "normal" shooting conditions the camera can come in to be checked and possible recalibrated. However, these spots can be caused by environmental issues and may come and go over time, though.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Actually I see nothing wrong with a firmware update. As complicated as these cameras are it is similar to software and computers, very difficult to test every concievable configuration or application a user can put it through. I find it comendable that Nikon reacts quickly after investigating a reported problem.