Best uses for these lenses and filters

Smoke

Hello, I am very new to photography and bought a D5200 a couple months ago. It came with the 18-55mm kit lens and I love it so far. For Father's Day my wife bought me 2 lenses and 8 different color filters. One is a 0.43x Professional Wide Angle Lens with Macro and the second is a 2.2x Professional Telephoto lens. Does anybody have either of these and could you tell me when the best time is to use them? Also for the filters. There are 8 different colors. Thanks

Dave_W

The Dude
That is a very nice wife you have and you really should thank her....but, color filters are a film specific item that will not work in the digital world like they did in the days of B&W film. As for these lenses, what brand are they? Typically, only Nikon lenses and and handful of 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) will work on an F-mount Nikon.

nickt

Are these converter lenses? I mean, do they screw onto your existing lens? I've seen reviews for something like that on youtube. I'm not sure there is much use for color filters with digital.

AC016

Both these lenses will act as magnifiers on your kit lens. They are meant to be attached to your filter thread on your 18-55. The telephoto one is obviously to get closer to your subject. it should magnify the focal length you are at, by 2.2. Same goes for the wide angle.

pedroj

Hello, I am very new to photography and bought a D5200 a couple months ago. It came with the 18-55mm kit lens and I love it so far. For Father's Day my wife bought me 2 lenses and 8 different color filters. One is a 0.43x Professional Wide Angle Lens with Macro and the second is a 2.2x Professional Telephoto lens. Does anybody have either of these and could you tell me when the best time is to use them? Also for the filters. There are 8 different colors. Thanks

If the lens are screw in type they will probably degrade your images....

Smoke

Thanks for all your replies, they are actually Vivitar lenses. I took pictures today of the city with each color filter. It was a gray cloudy day. They added some neat effects but not sure how often I will use them. She also got me a wireless shutter release. :D

Nathan Lanni

....but, color filters are a film specific item that will not work in the digital world like they did in the days of B&W film.

Appreciate that info - just started to research filters. Just in the last day or I had been looking at some colored filters and wondered how they work. :)

How do feel about the Cokin style of filters? Seems they would be a bit more versatile and more economical over time.

Last edited: