D7100 Review

06Honda

​I read a review this am on the D7100 from a web site called "kenrockwell" and noted this comment towards the end of the review: "24MP in DX is excessive. If you want to get the sharpness I showed at the top in my D7100 Sample Images, you need superb lenses. " I am currently looking purchase a second body to upgrade from a D50. The 2 lenses I have are:

80-400VR old version
Nikkor 50mm AF f/1.8D

Is the observation about needing superb lenses accurate. Keeping in mind that alot of the quality of the image is based on conditions and the ability of the shooter. Would my assumption be if the comment is correct then you would need fixed prime lenses to get good pictures but I am not convinced of this. Comments most welcome. Thanks.

Paul

Horoscope Fish

Ken Rockwell is well known in photography circles and I think it's safe to say most people would agree he is rather... Opinionated. My personal feeling's are that Ken really just needs to shut the hell up and go shoot whatever it is he shoots and quit driving the rest of us nutty with his ridiculous hyperbole. The comment about 24MP being "excessive" is debatable at best and preposterous at worst.

Simply put, the D7100 is the finest DX format Nikon DSLR out right now and an absolute BEAST of a camera. Will it shine with really outstanding, pro-level glass? Of course it will, what DSLR wouldn't? But by the same token I've seen some jaw dropping photos taken with a D7100 and kit lenses; and I mean jaw-dropping from a purely image-quality standpoint, aesthetics aside.

If you're even considering a D7100 all I can say is, stop thinking and find your credit card; you will NOT be disappointed.

RockyNH_RIP

Paul,

I pretty much concur with HF and Ron above.... Expensive, High Quality Glass will typically out-perform less quality glass under similar conditions. Having said that, and agreeing that many folks have done killer photos with kit lenses, buy what you can afford and what speaks to you.

Go to a major camera/electronics store and handle the various models.. see what feels good to you and buy it!! If that is the 7100, 7000, 5200, matters now.. Get it and add glass as you can and when you feel a need.

I have the 7100 with less than Pro Glass and have been very pleased with the camera and my images.

Pat in NH