lenses for d90

Joseph Bautsch

The lens will fit the D90 if it's been used on a D200. I could not find a lot review wise on the performance. What little I did find was good. The lens does not have a internal focusing motor so it will rely on the AF focusing drive in the D90 camera body. The AE should also work but you will have to set the lens f/stop on f/22 for the camera AE system to work. I have no personal experience with this particular lens. What information that has been found is from several users and reviews on the internet. Hope this helps.

Fotojo

Michael just a little info sigma uses chips that sometime limates their uses. I purchased a sigma 18mm-200mm works great on my D-90 but will not auto focus on my D-300. But I will say that I contacted Sigma and they are willing to rechip the lens for no charge if I cover the shipping. Long story short if you can try it out I would recomend it, but not the end of the world if you have problem.

Michael Wyle

Thank for your responses I only have the original lens that came with my d90 , and am new to photography so not actually sure waht lenses to get , i am currently reading understanding exposure which i find fascinating, i have also been looking at tamron lenses, which lenses do you recommend sigma , tamron , or should i stick with nikon its all very interesting .

mike

Fotojo

Hey Joseph
yes the D-90, D-300 have the in the bodies, but the chip that is in the lens has something to do with how the body recognizes the lens. The Sigma 18mm-200mm that I have works great on D-90, But will not auto focus on D-300 Sigma says the can rechip and will work on both so that was what I was trying pass on mike if it don't work Sigma will help him out

Ranie

Mike - With lenses it's a matter of getting what you are willing to pay for. Sigma and Tamron make good lenses however in my book no one beats Nikon.
+1 on this
having bought countless of 3rd party lenses before (because of its price), I still ended up selling them and got Nikon lenses in the end.

Joseph Bautsch

Fotojo - I'm not questioning your response at all. I don't know that much about this particular lens and am trying to gain some knowledge and help out Mike at the same time. Thanks for the info about the chip. I guess the best advice for Mike is to get his hands on the lens mount it on the D90 and try it out. If he can't do that he might also contact Sigma and ask them is that lens will AF/AE on the D90.

Naveen Kumar

Hello photographers....

i have a D90 with the kit lens but cant take macro photos... need assistance to buy another lens to do Macro... but cannot afford to buy a exclusive macro lens... can you suggest me to on any standard lens that can help me take macro lens...

pleiad7

Hello photographers....

i have a D90 with the kit lens but cant take macro photos... need assistance to buy another lens to do Macro... but cannot afford to buy a exclusive macro lens... can you suggest me to on any standard lens that can help me take macro lens...

If you don't want to go to the expense of buying a macro lens (yes, they are pricey!), you can always resort to using a close-up kit. It's basically a set of 3 magnifying filters (usually +1, +2 and +4 diopters) that you can use individually or in combination to focus closer than your lens alone will allow. They're available at any camera store for anywhere between ~$40 and $75.

premc44

Thank for your responses I only have the original lens that came with my d90 , and am new to photography so not actually sure waht lenses to get , i am currently reading understanding exposure which i find fascinating, i have also been looking at tamron lenses, which lenses do you recommend sigma , tamron , or should i stick with nikon its all very interesting .

mike
It is not clear whether you are looking at a telephoto zoom lens. If you are, the new Tamron SP 70-300 DI VC XLD USD f 4-5.6 will be a good lens. You can check its reviews. Nikonians.org has reviewed this lens and has given top marks for this lens. Some reviews even rate it higher than the Nikkor 70-300.f4.5 -5.6.
You can find the Nikonians review at
http://www.nikonians.org/resources/reviews/sp70-300mm-f4-56-di-vc-usd-review

Last edited: