Looking at Sigma (Older) & Nikon Macro's

RockyNH_RIP

Howdy everyone.. I am looking for 2 lenses, a Macro and an Ultrawide... I am likely purchasing used/refurb and though my prioritywould be the Ultra I have stumbled on a couple available Macro's.. so limiting this to Macro...

I am going to spend some time looking at reviews, but was curious if anyone had any 1st hand experience (good or bad). I have been following other threads here and it appears that for insects, longer is better so I am staying away from 40 or 60mm

I found a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Medium Telephoto Macro Lens (it is an older version (no longer made and the newer is way rich for me.

Also found a Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro. This is a year old little use.

If any one has experience with these, please holler.. Obviously the Sigma is less $$ and is a 105.. Do not know much about it but going to do some research.

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, tried the Nikon 85.. not bad.. got a couple sample shots. Need to schedule a visit to see the sigma. Dfont know if I will miss Image Stabilization as it, being older, does not have it. Reviews were prettyy good.

Pat in NH

Kevin H

Heres a fly I just took with the d5100 and tamron 90 f2.8

020-2.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

Thats an excellent shot!! I would be real happy to be able to do that... Now lets see what lens appear on the market for the best price (buying used as it is only going to be an occasional gig)

Thanks for sharing that shot!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Its the old one about 9 years old,i would expect better from it on the D5100 but not had chance to try it yet.

Well, looks like that lens is off the list for now... We have gone back & forth for 2 days and then when I asked to see/test it, was informed it was at Adorama to be sold to them.. She will contact me if they do not strike a deal.. Oh well, keep looking! (be nice if she told me that 2 days ago!) :)

Pat in NH

TedG954

Pat, from my own personal experience, and from what I've seen of your photos, I'd suggest that you consider getting an excellent (i.e. higher priced) ultra-wide instead of 2 mediocre lenses.

I believe you'll use the UW far more often than the macro/micro.

Besides, the lenses you currently have can take some pretty good close-ups. You may not be able to see the veins in a fly's wing, but do you really want to?

Later on down the road, get the macro if you still want it.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. ;)

RockyNH_RIP

Pat, from my own personal experience, and from what I've seen of your photos, I'd suggest that you consider getting an excellent (i.e. higher priced) ultra-wide instead of 2 mediocre lenses.

I believe you'll use the UW far more often than the macro/micro.

Besides, the lenses you currently have can take some pretty good close-ups. You may not be able to see the veins in a fly's wing, but do you really want to?

Later on down the road, get the macro if you still want it.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. ;)

Ted, thanks, your opinion is valued!! :) I agree on using the ultra wide much more... and have been watching closely (planning to get used but Local where I can try it) but the only one that appeared got sold before I could get there..

Since I am also interested in a Macro... I am also watching used and though it is my 2nd priority, 2 popped up there first. I am not planning to spend as much there so it will NOT impact if the wide pops up the following week.. I will still have the available cash.. :)

Your suggestion (Opinion) is actually my plan but I would grab a macro if it jumped in my lap... this post was cuz two sorta did!! Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I do appreciate it!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, was surprised no one here had the (or any experience with) the Nikon 85mm f/3.5 Micro lens.. I know people have the 105 (well over my budget and the 40 but in listening to others, a longer length is better.. I need to go grab a few more reviews.. :) That appears all that is open now as I have not heard back on the Sigma 105..

Pat in NH

STM

Ok, was surprised no one here had the (or any experience with) the Nikon 85mm f/3.5 Micro lens.. I know people have the 105 (well over my budget and the 40 but in listening to others, a longer length is better.. I need to go grab a few more reviews.. :) That appears all that is open now as I have not heard back on the Sigma 105..

Pat in NH

Rocky, there are a whole host of 105mm f/2.8 AIS Micro Nikkors on Fleabay right now for under $400, many as little as $300. This one even includes the PN-11 extension tube and is $300 "buy it now".

evan447

Howdy everyone.. I am looking for 2 lenses, a Macro and an Ultrawide... I am likely purchasing used/refurb and though my prioritywould be the Ultra I have stumbled on a couple available Macro's.. so limiting this to Macro...

I am going to spend some time looking at reviews, but was curious if anyone had any 1st hand experience (good or bad). I have been following other threads here and it appears that for insects, longer is better so I am staying away from 40 or 60mm

I found a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Medium Telephoto Macro Lens (it is an older version (no longer made and the newer is way rich for me.

Also found a Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro. This is a year old little use.

If any one has experience with these, please holler.. Obviously the Sigma is less $$ and is a 105.. Do not know much about it but going to do some research.

Pat in NH

with the newer nikon cameras and older sigma lenses it is best to try before buying as some are not compatible unless they are re-chipped by sigma.
there are cases of live view not working, or if you are really unlucky the camera may not even switch on.

RockyNH_RIP

with the newer nikon cameras and older sigma lenses it is best to try before buying as some are not compatible unless they are re-chipped by sigma.
there are cases of live view not working, or if you are really unlucky the camera may not even switch on.

Thanks Evan... I had heard that relative to the sigma 105 I was looking at ... and it had been rechipped... But thats the one also that the owner (local) was trying to sell it to Adorama.. :)

Appreciate the tip...

Pat in NH