New Camera Body

06Honda

Would a D90 be a decent upgrade from a D50. Normally I am a few models behind to save on money as my lenses and technique count for alot in my image quality. I have read lots about the D7000 but the D90 new is on sale for $599.99 canadian. From 5 to 12.3 megapixel seems like a decent difference. Suggestions most welcome. I think getting use to the D90 compared with the D7000 regarding colour and focusing would be much faster learning curve and save a few bucks. I shoot with the 80-400VR frequently.

​Paul

STM

It would be but the D90, in digital terms, has gotten really long in the tooth. Why not consider a used D5100 or D300S or something like that?

slowpoke

The D90 was a good camera,but the D7000 is a great one.If you can hold off a little while to save up,it would be in your best interest.

fotojack

While I agree with my colleagues about the D90 being long in the tooth, it is still a very good camera. It's been called a work horse for a reason. To go from a D50 to a D90 is, in my humble opinion, a very good jump for you. It is not a camera that you will outgrow any time soon. It does not have all the bells and whistles that some of the newer models have, but do you really need them? For $600, you'd be in good shape to get that D90.

Now...are we talking new or used here? If used...what's the shutter count (actuations)? Anything under 10,000 actuations and that's a decent price for the D90....in Canada! :) If it's brand new, then it's a steal!

I personally think you will be extremely happy with a D90. It's quite the tough camera.

Nikon Photographer

A couple of years ago I wanted to upgrade from my D70, which I still have, and looked at the D7000, but went with the D90, as I got a new one for a very good price, and I don't regret that decision at all, the D90 is a cracking camera, and I don't think the D7000 would have got me any better photo's.

FastGlass

The D90 is an awesome camera. You won't be disapointed. Whatever you're choice, keep in mind that you're D40 has an internal focus motor as does the D90. I would choose a body with the motor. Some people don't think about that feature till they buy it and later realize after mounting a lense on. By the way the D5100 does not have the internal focus motor.

I have to agree the D90 is a fantastic body, I just recently decided to keep my D90 and
not sell it to get a D7000. If I'm going to upgrade it will probably be to a full frame D700.
And I will keep my D90 to use as a back up body!

Last edited:

John P

The d50 to D90 is a great upgrade.
I have upgraded to the D7100 for better low light capability.
But my D90 has never let me down.
My personal opinion is that even though there are newer cameras in this sect. It has not made the D90 any less pf a camera.
Mine has been a true work horse. I would never get rid of it.