What is THIS new development going to mean for camera tech?

riverside

Everyone's always after more light. I'm all for it.

According to the article basic research results using the 2011 patent are just coming to the table. If peer acceptable the next step should be design engineering feasibility studies, time span dependent on how much funding is allocated. From there it could be some time before we see it on the street.

eurotrash

I don't believe that we'll end up seeing this technology hit market penetration above 20% until about ten years from now, possibly even more. It just takes so damn long for anything to get done, what with testing, QandA, etc, etc. But, the fact is, something has to take over our existing tech eventually, and this seems like the perfect candidate at the moment.

Dave_W

The Dude
This has been talked about for at least 25 yrs. Not necessarily for images but for computing in general. I believe this is the natural direction for computers in general. Carbon is in the same family as silicon and they both have very similar physical properties only carbon is considerably smaller and forms bonds with other carbon atoms that is much stronger and significantly closer together than bonds between Si atoms. While this natural progression from Si to C has been talked about for many years, actually getting it to work turned out to be much more challenging. However, the last few years have seen some important progress in the area of graphene and carbon nano-tubes that can also be applied to carbon chips.

But the most profound aspect of carbon based computing is strong likelihood it will be biologically compatible. Just think how awesome it would be to have a small CPU hardwired into your brain with full access to the internet. Or to be able to communicate to others without using words but instead using brain email.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio
Than are dreamt in your philosophy"

riverside

I don't believe that we'll end up seeing this technology hit market penetration above 20% until about ten years from now, possibly even more. It just takes so damn long for anything to get done, what with testing, QandA, etc, etc. But, the fact is, something has to take over our existing tech eventually, and this seems like the perfect candidate at the moment.

R&D cost recovery will be the decision maker. If a well-funded big push for development happens the best mass market (which currently seems to be smartphones) will be targeted. With the technically dumb as a rock but voracious consumer appetite for "better" smartphones I can that transpiring before anything else. Unfortunately the stand-alone camera industry is tied at the hip to scientific optics and that market has long been a slow mover.

GeoWes

But that could go both ways, Dave. Do you want to give those internet yahoos the same access to your brain that they have to your computer? I'll want on hell of a firewall for that. :)

Dave_W

The Dude
But that could go both ways, Dave. Do you want to give those internet yahoos the same access to your brain that they have to your computer? I'll want on hell of a firewall for that. :)

Well, in my case I'm not too concerned. Not a lot left up there to worry about these days! ;)