Nikonites has installed a new security feature for your images!!

Dave_W

The Dude
In an on-going effort to keep our members images safe from illegal pirating, it is my pleasure to announce that Nikonites has just rolled out a new security feature that will help keep our images safe from illegal downloading. Throughout the day we will be installing a feature for all of our members that will disable the right-click download feature. When someone tries to right-click and download your images, they will receive a message that reads - "Copyrighted Images: Please Obtain Permission Before Using" and the download will be prevented. While there is nothing you can do to insure an image is 100% secure from illegal pirating, this security feature should help cut down on such illegal pirating and gives a stern warning to anyone attempting to steal your images.

Please be patient as we work this into the entire site and stay tuned for any updates. We will be giving you full instructions as to how to add this feature to your account by the end of the day.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask and we will try our best to address them.

From all of us here at Nikonites, we thank you for your membership!

Regards,

Nikonites Staff

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Instructions on Disabling Right Click Downloads

Go to your "Settings" in the upper righthand corner; From there scroll down to "General Setting" on the left hand side. There in the first category is the option "Disable download of your photos" and choose "yes".

After you disable this right-click download, go to one of your images and try to download it. It should bring up the warning. If not, please let us know.

Moab Man

Agreed, you can turn it off. That's why I chuckled about the image editing being irrelevant. You'll know by whether or not you can pull it down. :)

WhiteLight

Is this going to work only for images posted in threads started by us?
If so, why not in all threads?
We have a lot of 'Post your bridges, trains, insects.. etc.. etc..' threads where everyone posts.
What happens there? People will be allowed to download?

From here on the settings page-
This option will disable the right click on threads that you start and display a copyright notice. It will not work for individual posts that you make in someone else's thread.

WhiteLight

And the feature doesn't seem to be working for me.
I turned the option on.. logged out.. went to my daily thread.. right clicked & said save us..
i could save the image

STM

It is a good thing to know that we have this safeguard but until there is a way to defeat shift-PrtScn, there really is no way to protect your images.

See?

prtscn_zps38d11616.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

In an on-going effort to keep our members images safe from illegal pirating, it is my pleasure to announce that Nikonites has just rolled out a new security feature that will help keep our images safe from illegal downloading. Throughout the day we will be installing a feature for all of our members that will disable the right-click download feature. When someone tries to right-click and download your images, they will receive a message that reads - "Copyrighted Images: Please Obtain Permission Before Using" and the download will be prevented. While there is nothing you can do to insure an image is 100% secure from illegal pirating, this security feature should help cut down on such illegal pirating and gives a stern warning to anyone attempting to steal your images.

Please be patient as we work this into the entire site and stay tuned for any updates. We will be giving you full instructions as to how to add this feature to your account by the end of the day.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask and we will try our best to address them.

From all of us here at Nikonites, we thank you for your membership!

Regards,

Nikonites Staff

Thanks to all the staff for their efforts!

Pat in NH

Horoscope Fish

It is a good thing to know that we have this safeguard but until there is a way to defeat shift-PrtScn, there really is no way to protect your images.
Just like any kind of security, the best you can do, really, is throw up virtual "roadblocks". The truly committed thief will not be deterred no matter what, time is on his/her side and all the tools required to get the job done are out there and free for the downloading.

I mean, in all honesty, if I decide I want your shot, with a few clicks of my mouse (well, six, actually) I can download the entire WEB PAGE, where you host your photo(s), discard those elements I don't want and be on my merry way with your pictures.

As much as it sucks, the cold, hard fact of the matter is... If we post it, we are potentially giving it away. Period. End of discussion.

WhiteLight

Dave, just an FYI.. I went to my 365 and it would NOT let me DL.. so it is working there for me..

Pat in NH

Pat could you also try right clicking on links to open in a new tab or just to paste text?
Right clicking itself is blocked for me everywhere except on the pics :p

BackdoorArts

I'm not 100% sure what you mean so go ahead and turn your disabling on and see if it disables images from other sites.

It seems to be thread and not post specific. For example, I'm assuming you have it on because if I click anywhere within this thread (that has no images) I get a copyright pop-up. I'd imagine then that this is across all posts initiated by the person and cannot be turned on one post at a time (which seems to be what's implied about editing). I looked at the Monthly Assignment thread and it seems to be disjoint in that on the first page, which Dave started, I get the pop-up anywhere I click, but on the last page I get no pop-ups anywhere.

Great idea, but I suspect that it's going to get confusing as implemented until (if?) we get things sorted out.