50 1.8 g vs 85 1.8 G

Proximer

Hello, guys,

I'm new here. I see a big comunity you have here, so i suppose you could hel me with one question bothering me lately.
I have a D7000 and D90 and several lenses for them. One of them is 50 mm 1.8G from nikkor. I'm very satisfied with it. I mostly do portraits and weddings. However, i'm thinking about buying a 85 mm 1.8G prime next to it. I think it will pair nicely to each other, cause i'm into portrait photography. Despite the obvious good thing it will bring, i don't fully understand the differences in bokeh between those two lenses. I was googling a lot. I saw images taken on a DX camera with 85 mm. I saw the nice bokeh it brings. Nevertheless i didn't find any direct comparison of bokes and DOF between them.
So, my question is, could anyone that has both of these lenses be so kind here and do me a favor. I need a direct comparison:
1. 1 picture taken with a dx camera with 85 mm 1.8G @ f/1.8 of an object (person, or other object simulating a person 180 cm high (5,9 feet high)) that fills the frame and stands about 3-4 meters (10 - 13 feet) away from a bussy background.
2. The same picture with the same conditions, only taken wit 50 mm 1.8 G @ f/1.8. (you will have to move closer for an object to fill the frame the same as in firs picture.
3. The same picture as the first one, only the object should be cut in half (simulating a half body shot) taken with 85 mm 1.8G @ f/1.8.
4. The same picture as the third one taken with 85 mm 1.8G @ f/1.8.

I hope i expressed myself understandable (English is not my language) and i really believe these 4 pictures should help me making a decision.

I'm really waiting for your help. If not possible to make those four pictures, please be so kind to share your experience on these two lenses in particular.

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The trick to having a better OOF background or Bokeh is the distance of your subject to your background. You need that separation so that you achieve a more desirable bokeh.

Proximer

Hi, gqtuazon,

Thanks for your reply. :) I fully understand this. I know that this is one of the most important factors. However, i'd like to see how these 2 lenses behave in terms of bokeh in EXACTLY the same situation, except for a focal length.

​Looking forward.

Proximer

This simulator is ok and was used several times trying to imagine diferences in focal length. Although, my question is about bokeh diferences, and this simulator is incapable of showing this.
​The question is till open.
Thank you though. :)

Rick M

As Glen mentioned, distance to background is important. The other piece is distance from lens to subject, the closer the better with either lens. With that, as you mentioned you will need to be closer with the 50mm to compensate for the focal length. The only other variable is the fact that the 85 1.8g is simply a better lens and you will get very slightly better bokeh from it over the 50mm. The 50mm is a great lens, but the 85 1.8g is better.

Proximer

Thank you, Rick,

I see what you mean. Nevertheless, this is what i already know pretty well. These two lenses will be very close in terms of performance. And i know that 85 mm will deliver only slightly "better" bokeh. My concern is if this difference in terms of bokeh is worth the difference in price.

Is there anyone that has these two lenses and some spare time and could help me with those reference shots? They would really answer my question.

​Thanks

Jon

I have both lenses at one time. IMO, both lenses almost have the same bokeh. I had the 50 first and was really happy with it. I bought the 85, 2 years after. I sold my 50, few months after I got the 85. Not that the 85 was much better but because for me, it's almost the same especially that I already have a 35mm 1.8.

Did I answer your question? Nope. Do I have a reference shot? Nope. Maybe, it depends on what lenses you presently have. Maybe, it's a matter of preference.

Proximer

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I agree that it seems somewhat the same.
My preferences and biggest reason i am concidering it next to 50 mm is that i want a mores shallow DOF, better bokeh and a bit of the telphoto reach it offers on DX body. I am mainly into wedding, portrait and fashion photography.
My lenses that i have now are 35 1.8g, 50 1.8g and 17-55 2.8G...

Looking forward.

Proximer

Since no one was able to help me, today i grabbed my camera and a 50 mm 1.8G and went to a store, that borrowed me 85 mm 1.8G lens to do some test shots.
To everyone in the future, looking for an answer like i did here are few shots made with each lens:
Headshot: Both lenses @ f/1.8
Half-body shot: Both lenses @ f/2.8

85vs50-1.jpg
85vs50-2.jpg

TedG954

So, what are your conclusions?

I believe the photos on the right-side display more depth in the model and would be my preference.

aZuMi

The biggest difference is the amount of compression he has in the background. 50mm 1.8 will have less background compression than 85mm 1.8. Bokeh should be similar since it's both 1.8, but 85mm would have smoother background because you're seeing less background distractions.

A good example would be the umbrella. Even though the head is the same size in the frame, umbrella is cut off in 85mm while it's still in the photo at 50mm.

Last edited:

Proximer

Although this test showed some diference, it didn't help me a lot, making a decision easyer. Despite of that, a week later i went to the store i bought my self a 85 mm 1.8 G by nikkor. I must say i love it. I love the working distance on a DX camera, the sharpness is amazing, I shot a wedding last weekend with two cameras. One with 17-55 f/2.8 and the other with new 85 mm 1.8G. I must say those two lenses matched very well. 85 mm was fully used as short tele for some situations and for portraits most of the time, where 17-55 took over when the action was going on.
Despite of all, i recommend this lens for everyone as a must have one if you are into portrait photography. A truly magnificent lens for the money you spend.

Tami Jo

I have moved the 85 1.8 to the top of my list now. While i have the 50 1.8 I love what the 85 offers. Thanks for posting the comparisons.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2