D7000 or D700?

thefish

Hi everyone. First post here. Let me start off by saying i've been perusing the forums here for a few hours, and boy, what a wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance. I know this probably has been covered before, and I did gleam some information from the threads I read, so sorry for the NOOB post.

I guess the alternate tite could be "DX" or "FX"?

So here goes.

I have a Nikon N70 with 3 lenses.
Tamron 28-200, 3.5 I believe
Sigma 18-35, 3.5 I believe
Nikon 105 Macro,2.8

All lenses do not have internal motors, obviously.

I want to go digital for obvious reasons. Some of my photographs will be interiors (living rooms, theater rooms). Most of my photos will be candid shots of my 1 1/2 year old, at home, outside playing, on vacation, etc.

I really like the 18-35 I have for the interior work, and the 28-200 seems like good all around lense.

I'm looking for recommendations, or I guess the pro's and cons, between the D700, and the D7000.

I understand the 1.5 crop factor going to DX, and i'm assuming the AF will work with the lenses I have on both D bodies?

The reviews I read seem to show that the PQ between the D700 and D7000 are very close. ( I could be wrong)

So, should I buy a DX kit with the 18-105 DX lense, or am I better off going with a D700 and using all my lenses? Or a D7000 and use my lenses?

What yould you do?

I'm far from a pro, and most of the time the I'll trust the camera to do it's "automatic" selection. However, with the instant gratification of digital, I guess there will be more experementation that I did with the film camera.

I know the cost difference between the bodies, and it's not an issue.

Thanks in advance, I know this probably has been beaten to death somewhere.

Ernie728

well are your lenses FX lenses if your going to transition to a FX body like a D700, well D7k shares the same ISO as the D700 but as IQ wise D7k is very far from the D700 I would pick the D700 over the D7k, it all depends what are your needs and wants and your budget, the D7k is a newer technology it has the HD 1080p on which the D700 hasn't, and the D700 is long overdue for a replacement and if you want to wait till next year on what will be D700 replacement will be..again I would pick the D700 and use the lenses you have or wait for the replacement for the D700 on 2011 that's my two cents and happy shooting

Ruidoso Bill

The D700 really doesn't have an Automatic mode, it is a professional level camera that will come with a pretty hefty learning curve. It is probably not a 1st DSLR and is also quite expensive compared with the entry level dslr's nikon has to offer, there are entry level cameras that will also allow you to use your existing glass.