D3000 with kit lens?

idr1219

Hi all,

I recently bought my first Nikon(D7000) and now my wife has taken an intrest in photography...she wants to learn to shoot but is afraid to use my new camera. Which, I really don't want her messing with either ;)

We found an used D3000 with the kit lens(18-55), and Nikon bag for $225...I wanted to ask if y'all thought that was a decent price. It is at a pawn shop and they are giving me a 30 day warranty. It is missing a battery charger, so I would have to get that, unless I can charge the battery with the charger to my D7K.

Thanks in advance for your feed back!

slowpoke

First,Hi and welcome.The D3000 is a great starter camera for anyone.I started with this camera.The price sounds right.They run about $200 on Ebay.It's hard to beat the 18-55mm.To buy one from a pawn shop is iffy,but no worse I guess than Ebay.At least you can see what your getting right away,lol.I know she'll be pleased with it.Good Luck.:D

piperbarb

My first DSLR was the D3000. I still have mine and use it, along with the D7000. It's a great little camera to use as a first DSLR and also, because it is so compact and light, great as a carry everywhere camera. I put mine in my purse so I have it whenever I want/need it. Also, as Joe said, the 18-55mm is a good lens. I have been very surprised at how good the photos are with that lens. For the price they are asking for the camera and the fact that you get a 30 day return policy, I'd get it. The charger is not that expensive.

idr1219

Picking up the camera tomorrow for $200! I will order the charger in the next few days. I also found a 18-200mm lens on craigslist...only hesitation is that is is a Quantaray! It is selling for $100, so I was considering it for her as a walkabout lens. Keep in mind, she at this point will mainly be snapping shots of the kids running around in the park and of "junk" she likes to sell on craigslist. Nothing exciting or creative at this point, but maybe once she gets the hang of the camera, we can upgrade her to a better lens. She will also have the kit lens (18-55mm).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

idr1219

Picked up the camera today, and to my surprise, this thing is practically new! The body and lens looked flawless...the strap had never been on, and everything was with the camera, except for the battery charger. I brought it home and did a shutter count, and to my surprise...it came up as only having 212 clicks...32 of which, I've done since picking it up!

http://www.myshuttercount.com/Query?p=80c5a04829e72b5a

My wife has been laughing at me because she says I'm more excited about this camera, than the D7000 I picked up last weekend. She might be right...I love getting a deal!

Last edited: