Wedding Photographer Survey

Browncoat

Please take a moment to take this short (10 question) survey about Wedding Photographers. This is for my e-commerce class in college, and I need to get as many responses as possible!

Also, in case you want to help spread the word (like on your Facebook page), the link is:
Code:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YVNPCN6

Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to post the results in 2 weeks.

Carolina Photo Guy

Dude, I clicked on the link. The page failed to load. I manually keyed the addy in on my taskbar.

No joy.

Let me know when its fixed. I'll be more than happy to participate.

Pete

ZakSaenzPhotography

Please take a moment to take this short (10 question) survey about Wedding Photographers. This is for my e-commerce class in college, and I need to get as many responses as possible!

Also, in case you want to help spread the word (like on your Facebook page), the link is:
Code:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YVNPCN6
Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to post the results in 2 weeks.

I was surprised that question 5 didn't have quality of images as an answer. You think that would be primary reason.

Zak

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished. I hope I was helpful, as I clicked on the answers as I'd answer them today (as much as possible).

You see, my wedding was rather unique in the fact that it was small (six guests), and of those guests, 2 are professional photographers - both of them shot the wedding and sent us a DVD of images.
We also have images from the whole day, and a few from the reception in the private room of the Lahaina Grille in west Las Vegas. (Thumbs up for THAT place!!)

Joseph Bautsch

I would be happy to respond to your survey, however I don't think my answers would be pertinent in todays market. My wedding was 45 years ago and at the time I was working part time for a wedding photography studio. They shot the wedding for cost which at the time was $25 for the photographer. The book was given to my wife as a wedding present.

Browncoat

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Yeah, the questions are pretty generic, but that's what the assignment called for. I'm finding the results interesting though. I think once this is all said and done, I'd like to create another one that's more in-depth to get a real feel for the marketplace.

Browncoat

Survey Results:

I must admit, I'm a bit shocked by some of the results. With over 210 responses, I think it's safe to say that there's a pretty good sampling here. Some interesting discoveries:

• About half of the people surveyed have worked with a wedding photographer, and half could be in the market for one.
  • Most people highly value wedding photography, but may have misconceptions about the cost.
  • Referrals and reputation are very important.
  • You should offer both online prints and a traditional album.
  • People don't like package deals, they want to design their own!
  • Almost half of those surveyed would pass a wedding photographer up who didn't have a website.
Official results. Top answers listed:

Did you/would you hire a professional photographer for your wedding?
Yes-75%
No - 25%

How important would you rate hiring a pro to photograph your wedding?
High on the list - 35%
Very important - 32%

How did you/would you find your photographer?
Recommendation from a friend or relative - 52%
Website search (Google) - 18%

How much did you/would you pay for professional photography services?
$500-$1000 - 36%
Less than $500 - 25%
$1000-$1500 - 21%
$1500 or more - 10%

What were/would be deciding factors to hiring a professional wedding photographer?
Reputation of photographer - 75%
Price -67%
Referrals - 65%
Easy to work with - 64%

What was/would be your preference for choosing prints?
Online gallery - 47%
Traditional wedding album - 42%

What other types of products are you interested in?
DVD of images - 66%
Wedding album - 53%
Slideshow playing during reception - 40%
Online prints - 39%

Would you prefer pre-set package deals, or making your own custom photography package by choosing your own options?
I prefer custom tailoring my own - 85%

If you previously hired a professional wedding photographer, were you happy with the service you received?
Yes - 46%
No - 9%
I have not worked with a wedding photographer before - 44%

Would you disqualify a wedding photographer who did not have their own website?
No - 58%
Yes - 42%

I can only wish the price paid for photography could be scaled into today's dollars.
From what I see, several people here got married decades ago, so they might have paid $500-1000, which would be comparable to several thousand accounting for the rate of inflation.

Browncoat

If only that were true. While there's no demographic info posted, the average age of those who took this survey is 34. There's an obvious gap between what wedding photographers think they should charge and what customers are willing to pay.

Ruidoso Bill

If only that were true. While there's no demographic info posted, the average age of those who took this survey is 34. There's an obvious gap between what wedding photographers think they should charge and what customers are willing to pay.

I think that statement can be said for many professions today.

Browncoat

Very true.

This aspect of the business really intrigues me. I am not (nor do I ever plan to be) a wedding photographer. On one hand, I can understand why wedding packages are so expensive. Most people hire a photographer on commemorative occasions: weddings, milestone birthday portraits of the kids, etc. Your wedding is supposed to be a one-shot deal, so you want good photos to remember the moment. But I understand the client's point of view too. Most people these days know someone with a DSLR, so why not just hire cousin Mark's college roommate to do your wedding for $200?

Yes, odds are, the newlyweds will be disappointed with the results. We know that. We can tell them that we know that, but again...odds are high that they won't listen. After all, how hard is it to press a shutter button? This must be how a mom and pop store feels when Wal Mart moves into town.

Red Kite

I recently saw some wedding photos taken by friends, for friends. Although they are good photographers in their own right, I sincerely hope the bride and groom had some more professional shots done of their special day.