FX vs DX (macro)

kiwi86

Which method you use for macro photography (insects)? Yes the final image is the same but in DX you see increased pictures.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The advantage of DX mode is that your shooting distance is further away which gives you more dof to work with but with lower resolution images.

Geoffc

The advantage of DX mode is that your shooting distance is further away which gives you more dof to work with but with lower resolution images.

Why lower res image? So we are apples for apples imagine we have a d300 and a d700. Both sensors are the same number of pixels. If you fill both frames with the same view of the same subject the image is the same resolution. If you use the same lens you will probably get a closer image on the DX which would give greater resolution.

I hope this makes sense.

BackdoorArts

I think he's referring to DX mode on an FX camera, which would lower your resolution by about 60%. One separate cameras resolution is simply a factor of the sensor.

Geoffc

I think he's referring to DX mode on an FX camera, which would lower your resolution by about 60%. One separate cameras resolution is simply a factor of the sensor.

Jake that's possibly what was meant. If the point was that DX mode goes from 36-16 mp then that's correct, albeit it's still relative to how much sensor you can fill. If you shoot in FX mode and crop away 20 mp to make the bug fill the screen it's the same a DX mode.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think we are probably talking about the same here but expressed differently. What I was trying to point out, in order to get the Depth of Field when in FX mode, you would stop down more on your aperture just to get a little more in focus which also affects your ISO unless long exposure is not an issue with static subjects.

When you use your D800 in DX mode, again as mentioned, the resolution is reduced but the advantage is you get the extra DOF (in focus) compared when shooting in FX mode. Basically with similar framing and aperture, DX will have more of your subject in focus compared to FX which is important when shooting macro.