Need help with lens selections

Wicked

​Okay so I am going this week to purchase the D5200 and would like to get some lenses to go with it as well. My first DSLR camera was a Canon Rebel XSi with the kit lenses that came with it. I was recently on vacation in Europe and noticed how much better pictures my buddy was taking with his D7000 with Nikon 18-105 lens. So after seeing how much greener it was on the other side (literally) I decided to make the switch. I am leaving for SE Asia in a few weeks and want to get to know this camera and bring lenses that will enable me to print as big of pictures as possible with some of the photos I will be taking to hang in my office/apartment.

So I need some lens recommendations. I mainly only shoot landscapes, urban/city stuff, foliage, skylines, lots of night stuff, and I love doing HDR. I don't shoot wildlife, baseball, or anything that requires awesome details at very far distances.

I am open to ideas and suggestions but don't want to spend more than about $500-600 on lenses. I am just starting to really get interested in photography and believe that this camera should be the one that makes me enjoy it more.

Some things I was thinking:

Nikkor 18-200

or

Nikon 18-105 and Nikon 35mm f1.8

or

Tamron 18-270

or

Nikon 55-300 and Nikon 35mm f1.8

BUT I just want your suggestions based on what I typically shoot! Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I am a strobist type so I would also suggest getting a Nikon SB910 or SB 700 to go along with the 35mm and 18-105mm VR.

Watoh

I'd go prime. 24/28mm, and 50mm for what you are shooting. That way either save money or get better quality lenses. Sounds like you don't really need zoom.

riverside

So I need some lens recommendations. I mainly only shoot landscapes, urban/city stuff, foliage, skylines, lots of night stuff, and I love doing HDR. I don't shoot wildlife, baseball, or anything that requires awesome details at very far distances.

Those would be my picks for your requirements.

MrF

Those would be my picks for your requirements.

Second this. The 18-105mm and 35mm f/1.8G were my first two lenses. Take a look at my gallery, all the landscapes in there were shot with the 18-105. I only recently got a Tokina 11-16 that I love (and I still need to post some shots with that lens), but 90% of the time I'm walking around with the 18-105 on the camera. When I want to travel light, those are the two lenses that I take.

Horoscope Fish

From your post I can see I shoot the same things as you do, typically, and if I could only keep two lenses I'd want my Tokina f/2.8 11-16mm and my Nikon f/3.5 18-105mm, hands down, full freaking stop. The Tokina is relatively new to me but it's a stunning lens and the 18-105 is my "Jack of all Trades" go-to lens that rarely comes off my D7100.

My third lens would be the Nikon f/1.8 35mm, and I do love it, but this one I could live without it if I absolutely had to.

Last edited:

fotojack

I second the motion on the 18-105 and the 35. Most everything I do is with the 18-105. I'm even selling my 55-300 lens to get myself the 50mm AF-S 1.8 .