D3000 As back up

mikew_RIP

In another thread i discussed problems with my D70, which i thought where solved it would seam they are not,a seller local to me has D3000 kits with the none vr 18-55 for £249.99 new,would it be a good buy just as a second body to go with my D5100,this model came and went while i was having a break from photography.
If i return the lens i got for the D70 the only one i will have that needs a motor in the camera body is my macro, manual focus with that would not be a problem,its the 105 sigma 2.8 EX with no built in motor.

mike

JohnB

I guess it may depend on what you will use the second body for? Have you considered a D90? That may be good to go with the D5100.

mikew_RIP

It would be used for general pictures and macro as i dont want to take my 120-400 off the d5100,my first idea was a d200 or similar then i noticed these new and just wondered how people had got on with them.
The price i saw for the D3000 was about the limit as i have spent a lot just lately on the D5100 and the sigma zoom.

mike

JohnB

Personaly I would look at D90. Or D200, since you have already have CF cards from your D70, that is one less thing to worry about. I love my D200, in some ways it will be an upgrade over your D5100.

mikew_RIP

I know my local Nikon dealer has a couple of D200s in not sure about D90s but will look into it,i was torn between the idea of a second hand unit which cost more in the first place and a new one of possibly lesser build quality.

mike

Whiskeyman

Mike,

There are also sellers that have the D5100, used, for £249.00. If you really like your D5100 and the price difference is so low, why not just get another D5100? You should be able to pick up another lens more to your liking later, if you wish to.

​Best of luck!

WM

Fred Kingston

There is a significant difference in build quality and feature set between the D3000 and the D200... One is an entry level camera, and the D200 was a pro level camera... D200s in mint low actuation-counts from reputable camera houses are selling for $275

mikew_RIP

Mike,

There are also sellers that have the D5100, used, for £249.00. If you really like your D5100 and the price difference is so low, why not just get another D5100? You should be able to pick up another lens more to your liking later, if you wish to.

​Best of luck!

WM

Had thought about that i really like to buy local and the dealer has no second hand D5100s in at the moment.

mike

mikew_RIP

Taking the advice on board i called in at my dealer today to look,he had D200,D70,D40 and D2X,nothing he could say he knew the history of,so i didn't buy one,the lens i bought for the D70 he will take back i paid £120 for it and he had second hand lumix FZ 100 which he would swap if i wanted,have it on trial now as a point and shoot to see me through.
I think its just a case of saying i want the next D200 he gets in that he knows the history off.

mike

JudeIscariot

Not if you need something for lowlight. Get a 3100, it probably won't run you much more now that the 3200 has been out for awhile, and it handles lowlight MUCH MUCH better.

IMO, the whole thousand series cameras were rushed to production, and while the 7000 wasn't so bad, the 3000 and 5000 suffered because of it. Also note that Nikon and Canon have both switched exclusively to CMOS chips now in lieu of CCD, because they can make better ones... And the 3000 is the LAST CCD chip Nikon issued. The 3100 is a CMOS chip, which these days is generally better all around.