D800 incoming

Wiredin

Back in December I bought a D600 Kit and then soon after the grip to solve ergonomics issues. Now I sold the D600 and am waiting for my D800. I'm super excited and can't wait. I also ordered the Tamaron 24-70 2.8 VC lens as well.

The D600 took a while to get used too as a first time Nikon user. But after six months I fell in love, and instead of selling to invest in lighting gear for my Pentax kit I sold for the 800

But I was wondering...one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get along with the D600 was the iso adjustment. I shoot full manual, and often on my K5 I would adjust iso with thr camera to my face, very easy as the iso button is up by the shutter...where the record button is on the 600/800. But you can't customize any button for iso adjust on the 600

Is there any way to set the iso on the 800 to be set to one of the function buttons on the front?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Wiredin

Wouldn't that be in your Custom Settings menu, under Controls?

Wasn't on the 600
i don't get my 800 until Friday so we will see in its there's. Just hoping someone can confirm. I actually lost sleep over this for some stupid reason

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Dave_W

The Dude
Yes, you can assign custom functions to any or all of your buttons or just leave them at default and use them as is. I've not customized any of my buttons mostly because their placement seems pretty reasonable so far.

Wiredin

Why use the Fn button where you already have a dedicated ISO button?

because it's in an even more inconvenient spot on the D800 than it is in on the D600.

you got a 80-200 f2.8 hand held, you got the shot lined up, you got your aperture and shutter speed right where you want it, but you think the exposure could use a stop or two of iso adjustment. So, you pull the camera away from your eye, shift your left hand adjust ISO and go to recompose. By this time the humming bird has flew off and your shot is lost. While, if you could set the iso to one of the front function buttons, you just reach your finger over, hit the button and quickly flick the dial, click the shutter, and you got your image.

Coming from a Pentax K5 where the iso button is right up by the shutter, it makes adjusting ISO so quick and easy it's almost as fast as adjusting shutter speed or aperture. I don't trust auto exposure modes, you never know if they are going to get it right. I trust me. So I prefer to make the adjustments of all three elements myself. It just seems as though Nikon made it inconvenient to do so.

Sambr

I like where ISO button is on my D800 I've never had a problem using it while in the middle of taking a photo

Dave_W

The Dude
because it's in an even more inconvenient spot on the D800 than it is in on the D600.

you got a 80-200 f2.8 hand held, you got the shot lined up, you got your aperture and shutter speed right where you want it, but you think the exposure could use a stop or two of iso adjustment. So, you pull the camera away from your eye, shift your left hand adjust ISO and go to recompose. By this time the humming bird has flew off and your shot is lost. While, if you could set the iso to one of the front function buttons, you just reach your finger over, hit the button and quickly flick the dial, click the shutter, and you got your image.

I'm not sure I'm following you since there's no reason you have to take the camera away from your face to change the ISO. You just press the ISO button on the top of the camera and then use the main function wheel. At no point does the camera need to come away from your face.

BackdoorArts

I think what he's saying is that he wants one hand on the lens, one hand on the trigger and a convenient ISO button to go with it.

I wouldn't call either inconvenient, probably just unfamiliar, but different strokes, I suppose. I can find both the D600 and D800 without removing the camera from my face. I can't say that I find the need to vary ISO to accommodate shutter or aperture all that often when the camera is to my face, but again different strokes.

Wiredin

I think what he's saying is that he wants one hand on the lens, one hand on the trigger and a convenient ISO button to go with it.

I wouldn't call either inconvenient, probably just unfamiliar, but different strokes, I suppose. I can find both the D600 and D800 without removing the camera from my face. I can't say that I find the need to vary ISO to accommodate shutter or aperture all that often when the camera is to my face, but again different strokes.

thank you, yes, that is what I'm getting at.

I didn't find it a big issue when using my D600 with a shorter lens. But my most used lens is a 80-200 2.8, try hand holding that beast and adjusting iso without removing the camera from your face. it's a bit of a pain.

BackdoorArts

Have you checked whether you can assign another button for ISO on the D800? I just did a cursory check and I can't find any ability to assign any other button to control the ISO.

stmv

laughs,, this was a funny thread,, yes, the ISO button is in a super spot on the D800,, the one button I would like to get rid of is the dedicated qual button, I have accidently changed that one before,, and accidently change it from Raw/fine to basic,, duhhhhh it the top of the head.