Next Prime

SpiralS

Hi there. I am fairly new to the dslr scene and I have pretty much just shot with a 35mm on a D3100 for the last couple of months now. I am a bit addicted to the wide open shots you get on a prime.

Anyhows I have been battling with the idea of getting the 85mm f1.8 as my next prime but since its a bit pricey its a fair bit of having one in my hands and actually doing the shooting. The main reason I am looking at the 85 is, is to do a bit of portraiture and also to do a bit of street photography which I do find a bit in your face with the 35mm.

Now is better to just dredge along and save up for the 85 or get a 50mm maybe even second hand or even get a 70-300 (also pricey) to weather the storm of having some new glass on my camera.

Fred Kingston

Maybe look at a prime 60mm Micro 2.8D... they can be had for under $300... It's a great walk around lens, great portrait lens, and a great close-up lens... The only issue you'd have is it would be a manual focus with your camera...

TedG954

A 55-200 can be had for $150. As far as bang for the buck, this lens will fit all the needs you listed. If you're set on a fixed prime, I'd get something in the 85mm range.

SpiralS

A 55-200 can be had for $150. As far as bang for the buck, this lens will fit all the needs you listed. If you're set on a fixed prime, I'd get something in the 85mm range.

I thought if I do buy a zoom I might as well do it properly and get a 70-300. I do live close to wild life spots so that will be on the list of lenses to buy in the future.

JDFlood

The 85mm f1.8 is an outstanding lens. Since your shooting DX body, your 35mm is really more like a 55mm on a FX, so a typical portrait would be 85mm or 60mm on your camera... So the 60 is a good choice, and you get macro to boot. The 85mm on you camera is a telephoto. A great lens. When you get a chance Try a 24mm for street, it has a great depth of field, for street. JD

SpiralS

The 85mm f1.8 is an outstanding lens. Since your shooting DX body, your 35mm is really more like a 55mm on a FX, so a typical portrait would be 85mm or 60mm on your camera... So the 60 is a good choice, and you get macro to boot. The 85mm on you camera is a telephoto. A great lens. When you get a chance Try a 24mm for street, it has a great depth of field, for street. JD

Yeah thats what I have been thinking is getting a longer prime first and then if I do get another prime maybe a nice wide one like the 24mm. But for now I am happy with my 35mm. I can just slap it on and snap away pretty much all day long. I only really switch back to the kit for landscape but for that I tend to go and do landscape shot for the day but I always come back home with the 35mm on for some reason or another.

I will look into the 60mm. I havent really given macro photography a thought or never really had a lens for that so that might be a alley to explore. But yeah the 85 is burning a hole in my pocket to put it mildly...