New Analog Photographer

globeglimpser

Hi all

I am one of those born into the digital world. I have enjoyed using my Nikon D5100 and more recent V1.

However, I recently - and very impulsively - ordered a Nikon FG20 with a 50mm F2.0 which should arrive next week. I'm still not quite sure why I did this - maybe for the thrill of processing film or because it would make a great travel companion on an upcoming trip to South Africa. What I do know, is that I am very very excited!

Anyway, I know that this probably won't impact on anyone here's lives but I just had to share!!

PS. I am trying to decide which film to start with. I'm looking at Kodak 400 TMAX B&W but if anyone knows a better film for a complete noob please share. Also any input on my choice of camera, any advice for technique, and any helpful resources would be appreciated.

EDIT: I am also looking at Kodak Tri-X 400

STM

Welcome into the light! Watching a printer ink out a print is nothiing like the experience of watching a print appear in a tray of Dektol!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
T-Max and Tri-X are both excellent B&W films but they have their differences. I preferred T-Max 400 over Tri-X because T-Max offered more contrast with a little less grain. Of the two, I'd say Tri-X might have been more popular. I believe Tri-X might have been used a lot for newspaper work because it shows more detail in the dark areas (less contrast than T-Max). Some people simply prefer one over the other. My suggestion is to try both and see which you like.

As STM said, it's kind of magical watching a piece of photographic paper start to show an image while working in a darkroom. :)

mikew_RIP

You will enjoy the experience,holding back,burning in makes me nostalgic, I often wonder though if it would be like meeting an old girlfriend you haven't seen for years,better left as a memory;)(possibly for both of us). Still kept all my gear for a darkroom just cant bring myself to part with it.

mike

STM

You will enjoy the experience,holding back,burning in makes me nostalgic, I often wonder though if it would be like meeting an old girlfriend you haven't seen for years,better left as a memory;)(possibly for both of us). Still kept all my gear for a darkroom just cant bring myself to part with it.

mike

It is cramped, but I call it home, up to 16x20 no problem:

darkroom.jpg

Watch72

Welcome to film.
An alternative to Kodak and other colour film, you may want to try Ilford Delta series for B&W.
For a start - process B&W is simpler than colour.
That is how I started - film - B&W - and I have enjoyed it ever since.
Don't forget to get yourself a scanner if want to convert those negs to digital.
Much that we want to keep the process totally analogue but we cannot ignore the convenience of digital.