HELP!! D600 not Auto-Focusing with select ED lenses

jaysonmullen

So I have owned my D600 since march and it has been a great camera! I also own a few of the older ED lenses... 28-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8, and the 60 mm 2.8. Those are my three primary lenses that I use. Up until this past weekend I have used them and they have worked just fine on the D600 body. This past weekend I shot a wedding with my wife who uses the D80 as a back up shooter and she put the 60 and 80-200 on her camera for use. Well when we went to do portraits after the shoot, I put the 80-200 on my D600 and the auto focusing wouldn't work. It was only making this buzzing sound as if something was working, but it wasn't catching something to move. The 60 mm did the exact same thing. It was very strange. My 28-70 2.8 ED lens still works fine on D600, but I have yet to put it on the D80 for fear that the crop sensor camera is the culprit. I can manually focus the lenses, and if I get the manual focus close to the actual focus, I can switch it to auto and it will find the fine tuning focus and snap on auto.

I did some testing with a few other cameras and lenses as well. I have a friend who owns both 60 and 80-200 and his lenses also did the same thing on my D600. All of the lenses (2 80-200, and 2 60mm) were tested on a D200 and worked fine. I also tested my 60 and 80-200 on the D80 and they work fine on that. It seems as though the lenses will only focus on crop sensor cameras.

If you have any idea what this may be, I would love to hear your opinions. I was ready to send off my 80-200 lens for repair, but after testing the other lenses, I am afraid it is my camera body and not the lenses. I am really hoping this is something I can address personally though. I am fairly handy with electronics. I fix iPhones/iPads/iPods all the time.

fotojack

This may not apply to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

You do shut off the camera before changing lenses, right? This has been know to play havoc with some lenses. I mention this because I have actually seen seasoned professionals forget to turn off the camera before changing lenses, especially if they're in a hurry.

Geoffc

This may not apply to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

You do shut off the camera before changing lenses, right? This has been know to play havoc with some lenses. I mention this because I have actually seen seasoned professionals forget to turn off the camera before changing lenses, especially if they're in a hurry.

Jack

You raise an interesting point, although I almost never turn off my camera changing lenses and that's been on the D70, 300 and 800. I'm not dismissing it as being a good idea, I just don't think to do it.

grandpaw

Make sure the F stop ring on the lens is set to the smallest opening or it will not work. Something like F22 or whatever the smallest opening is. This will allow it to work with the camera's light meter.