Trouble with 3D

dyrelogan

I bought a Nikon Coolpix P510 and am really enjoying learning all the features. I am having a small issue with the 3D photo's. I followed the instructions to the letter and took a 3D picture but when I view it on my 3DTV it shows up as just a regular photo. What am I doing wrong? I really would like to use this feature to take amazing shots of scenery that I want to see in 3D. What I did was take it from off my SD card and put the photo on a USB card and plugged it into my TV. When I viewed the photo it was just a standard photo. Maybe a little blurry but no 3D effect at all. Any answer would really be appreciated. I went to Nikon's site, but I think it is broken. When I try to log in to ask a question or reach customer service, the page is practically blank after I choose "Sign In" and does not show any login or password boxes. I have tried on multiple browsers and even my iPad with the same issues. Thank you. :)

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,i dont know your camera but i guess its the type you take two pictures and the camera creates an mpo file for your 3D image,often televisions do not recognize these files from a usb stick and have to be set on 3d,have you tried it straight from the camera to the tv.
I have the Olympus version and it makes a jpeg as well as the mpo file so you can view them on a none 3d monitor.

mike

dyrelogan

Yes I create a mpo file which I also included on the USB drive. I did not directly plug the camera into the tv as I do not have a hdmi cable for the camera. If you can only view the 3d images you take from the camera itself it kind of defeats the purpose of 3d photos if you are not able to transfer them to a CDROM or a USB drive or other storage media wouldn't it? Is there a possible way to merge the two files, the mpo and jpeg so it will be recognized? Maybe a third party software you can use on your pc? And no, my tv doesn't automatically switch to 3d. It does for movies when a 3d movie is playing but it did not even let me turn it on manually, the 3d option was shaded and not selectable. I will buy an hdmi cable for the camera and see what happens. I thank you for your response, it is truly appreciated. Thank you for the welcome. :)

mikew_RIP

The way a lot of people get over it is to have a memory card which they just transfer 3D mpo files to,then this is put in the camera to play on the tv,I also have the fuji w3 3d camera and i need to connect it to the tv also,There is another way if you are interested most of us that do 3d use a free program that will create all types of 3d files from your mpo file,quiet a lot of people make side by side files then when played on the tv you just tell it side by side.
If you have a general interest in 3d the program will make anaglyph 3d to view on your pc, using the red/cyan glasses,these can be made from an mpo or two pictures you take separately.

mike

mikew_RIP

I don't have anaglyph glasses. I do have 3d tv glasses. Any way to convert using this method?

Your viewing problem would be solved if you bought the HDMI cable,check the book as you may need standard to mini HDMI,if you dont want to use the camera then you may need a deeper understanding of MPO files,the program i mentioned can produce MPO files from two pictures or split an MPO into two pictures,whilst keeping the original MPO intact.The Anaglyph viewing on the pc allows you to view your work in progress on a 2d monitor,as too much separation between images can stop them merging and too little takes the 3D effect away.
If you stay with a usb stick and your tv will not recognize your MPO files on it then the pictures need to be presented on the stick as the sample below and the tv told its side by side 3d.

DSC_0010-post.jpg

The size of this image may vary and needs experiment, a good starting point is 1920x1080 but to be honest unless you have a real interest in 3D just buy the cable.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Another thought but i dont know anything about them,if its your usb connection not recognizing the file format i think you can get card readers that use HDMI connection,that may work.

mike