Should all beginning photographers start out with a film camera to learn how to shoot

Should all beginning photographers start out with a film camera to learn how to shoot?
Here's 10 reasons why this may be true.

1. It’s so old-fashioned, it makes you look cool. Enough said. ;)

2. Film is unforgiving – it demands hard work, as well as some trial and error, to get a good exposure.

3. No automatic settings. You must become familiar with the principles of exposure, or suffer blank frames.

4. Exposure – If your camera is of an age before light meters were invented, you may have to use the “Sunny 16″ rule of thumb to gauge what settings you should be using (in full sun, your exposure will be f/16 at a
shutter speed equivalent to your ISO – 1/100th sec at 100 ISO, 1/400th sec at 400 ISO, etc).

5. Manual focus – you must consider which part of the picture should be in focus, rather than letting the camera hook on to some random spot.

6. Nobody will steal it. Even previously high-end film cameras aren’t worth much anymore.

7. The ISO isn’t auto. With digital, the effect of ISO has been largely forgotten by many, but because you have to use the same ISO throughout a roll, you have to come to understand its role in your exposure.

8. Slow you down. Manual settings, as well as the consumption of valuable film, forces you to put more thought into each shot, which has obvious positive effects on the learning process.

9. Cheap gear – everyone thinks film is dead, so you can pick up your equipment for a song, or sometimes for nothing at all.

10. No need to upgrade – there are very few film cameras in production anymore (though there are some), leaving you to think about your photographs instead of your equipment. Not to mention that in the days of
film, cameras were built to last a lifetime, rather than the short wait until the company’s next release.

mikew_RIP

Good sentiments, and I understand your logic but the big advantage with digital for a beginner is they can view there results on the pc, while what they did is fresh in there mind.

Number 6, around here they will steal any thing,then if its no good chuck it away:D

Last edited:

pedroj

Some people wont read the manual that comes with the camera, how would they be able?????

I think if some had to start with film and without the internet and forums it would be to tough...

WhiteLight

am not sure how many people would have the patience to try and do that...
especially when they know there is a much easier & cooler alternative out there ;)

ohkphoto

Snow White
With enough SELF-DISCIPLINE, you can accomplish the same thing with digital. Put EVERYTHING on manual and pretend that all the auto features do not exist.

Rexer John

Also don't look at the photos until at least a week later and don't view exif data.
Ask your family and friends if they like the photos, the internet hasn't been invented yet.

If you buy an SLR film camera, spend at least an hour looking for the white balance control, you wont find it but it will familiarise you with the rest of the camera ;)

Epoc

Great principal in theory. However the newcomer's would be few and far between as the cost would be to prohibitive. That's the great thing about digital. Once you gears bought, the ongoing cost is minimal. Unless you suffer from the dreaded NAS ;)

§am

I agree, in this day and age the cost of using film to learn would be too great.
Current day DSLRs allow users to learn in any way they want to, as long as the willingness to do so is.

RockyNH_RIP

With enough SELF-DISCIPLINE, you can accomplish the same thing with digital. Put EVERYTHING on manual and pretend that all the auto features do not exist.

Excellent suggestion! I did that a while back... did an entire weekend on Manual only... It was pretty helpful to learning the light.. granted, I still peaked at the view and did PP in LR .. But it was still learning (and humbling)

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

So essentially you're saying that every new photographer should invest in a full darkroom and learn that as well, correct?

I get your sentiment 100%, but I believe that Helene's option is far more realistic, and practical. So if I may alter her statement, I would phrase it this way...

Put everything on manual and pretend that all the auto features do not exist, only shoot in RAW, and learn not only how to take a photo properly, but also how to process it correctly. Capturing an image is only half the equation. Presenting it in all its fullness to the world is equally as important, for no one ever fawned over a well composed, properly exposed but poorly printed photo.

The digital dark room is available, and it's far more portable and bright than it used to be. Know your equipment and know your art. It's the difference between a photographer and a person taking pictures.