Very basic questions, noob at video

eurotrash

Hi.

So I have a D7K and plan on shooting (both literally and in context of video) a .50 cal BMG at an object loaded with tannerite at the range this weekend (big gun + big bullet + volatile substance = big boom!)

I know that I probably won't be able to capture the actual bullet travel, and that's not my objective. I'm mainly trying to capture the actual shot and the resulting explosion from various angles with various cameras. After the video is shot, I want to slow down the video a lot so it gives it some dramatic impact as well.

My question is, should I be worrying about shutter speed or should I simply put the cameras at the highest frame rate possible so I can slow it down later in post?
Has anyone ever taken video something like this before?

​I'm unfortunately limited to 30fps on my camera I believe, so..
Thanks!

eurotrash

We'll have about 20 guns there, no less. All makes, models, calibers. I'm hopefully trading in my Sig 2022 for a Ruger SR9c tomorrow. The Sig just doesn't fit my hands as well as I'd hoped..
It'll be a great photo day in addition to the star photography I HOPE to catch while in WVA for the weekend. If the weather only holds out!

Anyway..

Last edited:

Epoc

Shutter speed should be double your fps. Anymore will effect the smoothness of your video and also cause flicker if filming under lights as they run at 60hz in US.

eurotrash

So it will simply be smoother running at 1/400th than at 1/60th? That's the only real difference?

I'll also take tons of stills too, don't worry whitelight!

Epoc

No opposite way round. Run it at 1/400th and this will cause jerkiness. If the shutter is too fast there isn’t enough motion blur to smoothly transition from frame to frame causing a stuttering or staccato effect. If you have ever looked at something moving with a CRT monitor behind it you will know what this stuttering can look like. Stick to 1/60th. Only way to get smooth slow mo is more fps.