Tried shooting RAW

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Last night I took theater photos for the local drama students and decided to set my D600 to RAW+jpeg. I shot well over 200 photos, but when I imported the files to my computer, I don't see any RAW files. Both cards appear to have jpegs on them.

First I tried using Windows to import the files, but only the jpegs showed up. Then I tried using Lightroom 4 to import the files--again only jpegs on both cards. I shot RAW only once before, and the files imported using Windows (although they couldn't be opened with Windows) which makes me wonder if I didn't set something correctly on the camera.

Was there some other camera setting I should have enabled?

Sheesh--I wound up with a slight dark green tint for both the stage's black curtain and greyish black floor and wanted to see how the RAW files captured the images. :sorrow:

FastGlass

ouch! I never had that issue. But I never shoot both RAW and Jpeg, only RAW. When I post process I then change over to DNG or Jpeg. I dont see a point in shooting Jpeg when I can make a copy of that type later. Unless you want as much pics on the card as you can get. It sounds as though you have no RAW pics at all, and I feel bad for you. If in fact your display showed RAW + Jpeg not sure what the issue is.

Disorderly

Your use of the word "import" has me concerned. What happens if you look at the cards in Windows Explorer or whatever they call the file browser? You should see files with the .NEF extension as well as .JPG. Those NEF files are your RAW files, which Windows probably doesn't know how to display. (At least my work laptop doesn't.)

Assuming the .NEF files are there, copy everything to your hard drive. Then you'll need software that knows how to process RAW files. Do you have Photoshop? Lightroom? Photoshop Elements? Did you install the software that came with your camera? Any of those will open the .NEF file and let you start working.

Dave_W

The Dude
Did you re-check the camera to make 100% certain the camera is on RAW + JPG? I've had occasions where I'll choose a setting and think I hit enter but somehow I depressed the shutter button lightly before I hit enter so that when I checked it later it was still at the original setting.

Given that LR and your computer does not see the files, I think it's safe to say your camera did not record any RAW images. After you check your settings again try taking a quick photo inside the house and see whether it shows up this time.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
FastGlass, the D600 has 2 card slots which is why it has the ability to save both RAW and jpegs. In fact, I *think* it will only save RAW if it also saves jpegs at the same time.

Disorderly, yes I also used Windows AND Lightroom 4 to open the files while the cards were still in the card reader (I checked both cards to be sure I didn't pick the wrong card). Only jpegs on both. :( And yes, the camera setting was correct. You bet I checked that!!!

Disorderly

Just to double check, do you have two files with the same filename? (Either the same name on each card or two files with the same name on one card.) I just want to be sure Windows isn't hiding the extension/file type from you.

Dave_W

The Dude
FastGlass, the D600 has 2 card slots which is why it has the ability to save both RAW and jpegs. In fact, I *think* it will only save RAW if it also saves jpegs at the same time.

No, it can save only RAW if selected. That said, try setting it to RAW only and take a snap or two and see what you get.

Dave_W

The Dude
Just to double check, do you have two files with the same filename? (Either the same name on each card or two files with the same name on one card.) I just want to be sure Windows isn't hiding the extension/file type from you.

Good point, LR will not import the same named file twice. But the Windows Finder should have seen them both.

Krs_2007

It may have 2 slots but I believe you have to set the role of slot 2. Example, I have raw going to slot 1 with jpeg going to slot 2. I don't know if its even capable to write both to be card, never tried. Also I believe you have to tell LR to import one format or the other or even import both.

Just a couple things to check in case yo haven't figured it out yet

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mfrankfort

My D600 is set to have card 1 shoot raw, card 2 jpeg. Could that be the case? Did you have two memory cards? Did you also try the Nikon software to import?

Mfrankfort

Also, when you switch modes, I'm pretty sure it switches how you have the settings. So if you go from A to S, it will use your last settings, and it sounds like it was just JPEG.

Rexer John

Access the card on your computer and right click on it, then click properties to find out how many megabytes of the card has been used.
Each jpeg will be around 5 or 6 meg in fine setting, each raw file will be around 20 to 25 meg.
Take the jpegs as 6 meg and the raw as 20.
Get the number of megabytes used and divide that number by the number of images, if the number is above 6 you have raw files as well as jpegs.

eg, I have 15 images on a card, 375 megabytes used.
375/15=25.2 megabytes per photo.
So I know I have raw files.

That's actually 15 jpegs and 15 raw files, as I shoot each photo as jpeg and raw.

Epoc

Install View NX that came with your camera and point it to your card reader. If the RAW's are there, you will see them in View NX. I don't have a D600, but do have a D7000 and D700. Both these show the RAW setting on the top screen. Does your 600 say RAW on the left hand side of the top screen? If it does and you are not seeing RAW files in View NX, time for your camera to take a trip back to Nikon.

GeoWes

Older Windows can't read the RAW files, but you can upgrade for that. I had to upgrade two lap-tops. I can shoot RAW and Jpeg on the same disk; both files are named the same with different extensions. If Windows explorer won't read the RAW files, you may need to up grade off of Microsoft's site. If they still don't show and your settings are correct, it sounds like maybe a warranty problem.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I think I zigged when I should have zagged. The setting was correct for RAW in slot 1 and JPEG for slot 2; however, there was an option underneath that I must have changed. It was set for JPEG even though I selected slot 1 for RAW. I'll have to go look at the camera again to give a more detailed description, but apparently by switching the one setting, it overrode the function for slot 1.

Lesson learned the hard way. ;)

hrphotography

I always shoot RAW + small Jepg....never change that setting and RAW can be transferred by simple windows explorer. I have windows set to show extension. shooting the jpeg along with RAW helps with the thumbnails in windows since windows cannot show thumbnail of RAW files.
you probably had wrong settings at that time.