First Impressions D7100

RockyNH_RIP

WOW!!! Thats the best way to start... It was late when I got the battery charged so I just snapped a few indoor pics as I tried to learn to operate "The Beast" (and I say that in a good way) :)

It may not be a big jump form say a D7000, but from a D5100, it is quite huge... Loads of buttons... many can have more than 1 function... Overwhelming at first because I am so use to the menu driven D5100 (and the info screen lets me change ALL that I want). I am sure as I read, learn and use, those buttons will become 2nd nature.

You will be able to totally customize the camera to your shooting style and you can also save 2 setups. Once I learn what settings I like, I will surely adapt well and enjoy that feature.

I cannot yet speak to image quality yet.... but the feel of the camera in
my hands is very solid. I was suprised, expecting it to feel heavier, but it is not. Solid Yes!!

The manual?? My wife commented that she did not see a manual like that with my 5100. No, it was 92 pages and the Manual for the D7100 is 384!!

A lot of my learning curve will be a result of so different than the 5100 (except menu is similar, just more) and so many more features.

I do find the little locks on the mode and shooting wheels a minor nuisance... Reality is though, I will surely get used to them (awkward for my big fingers until I learn the technique) and I do not really change them that often...

I like the dual card slots and how you can program the usage of the 2nd slot. I also think I will like U1/U2... (once I figure it all out!). Figuring on setting one for my normal every day aperture preferred .. spot focus etc... Not sure of the other yet but one I start changing settings willy nilly, be one step to get back to my norm.. (assuming that is how it all works!)

I only had a couple hours of study last night and similar tonight then I am gone for 2 days (Motorcycle ride through the rains of tropical storm Andrea!!)

I like the fact that I can bracket up to 5 shots with an expanded ev range as opposed to my 5100's 3 shots. That will be helpful for my HDR shots. It also syncs with my flash up to 1/250 where my 5100 only does 1/200.

Only real drawback, and it is well know... is the lack of adequate buffer... Nikon touts the high rate of shooting speed but crippled it some with a "to small" buffer. While it shoots faster than my 5100, I get more shots (although slower) with my D5100. Is this critical, not for me so I am not worried... 1.3 crop, jpeg, set a slower speed like 4 fps as in my 5100 and I can surely improve the results. If you want a camera that shoots 6+ frames for an extended period (longer than 6-8 shots) before it chokes the buffer, this is not ofr you... For my use, not an issue and I am loving it!!

Next week, when I get more into the features and learn enough, I will start shooting away (other than current tests as I learn ..)

Pat in NH

crashton

Re: First Impressions D-7100

After a while all those buttons with direct access will become second nature to you. As you have already discovered the D5100 while a great camera was hobbled by Nikon.

Enjoy the new D7100 & show us some pictures. :)

I know the feeling Pat. My new one is great. Just working on trying to remember where things are. It sure does feel good though. Since all we've had is gray skies or screaming wind I did spend a bit of time reading through everything. I had actually ordered a couple extra books that came before the camera did. Overkill but people look at things in different ways. Sometimes one explanation can seem like a foreign language and the next clear as a bell.

evan447

nice choice! if i was in the market for a new dslr this is probably the one i would go for. (i would still keep one of my d7000s because of the way it can lift dark shadows and keep details without banding).
​the d7100 is certainly a great performer. another classic from nikon!

RockyNH_RIP

I will have my tablet with while I am off for two days on the motorcycle.. I am downloading the manual to it so I can read through while in my motel tomorrow night!! :) I have not yet looked at books as this surprise was just sprung on me last night!! :) Such a good surprise it was....

Pat in NH

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

I will have my tablet with while I am off for two days on the motorcycle.. I am downloading the manual to it so I can read through while in my motel tomorrow night!! :) I have not yet looked at books as this surprise was just sprung on me last night!! :) Such a good surprise it was....

Pat in NH

Come on Pat, you've got to give us at least one picture before you go. :) Just one...

RockyNH_RIP

nice choice! if i was in the market for a new dslr this is probably the one i would go for. (i would still keep one of my d7000s because of the way it can lift dark shadows and keep details without banding).
​the d7100 is certainly a great performer. another classic from nikon!

Thanks Evan.. I am gonna hang on to my 5100 as a backup... and likely being smaller and lighter it will be my go-to when traveling by motorcycle.. (may change that thought when I get real proficient with the D7100) :)

Pat in NH

Krs_2007

Pat, dont forget YouTube, I am sure FroKnowsPhoto has something on the 7100. It took me a while to figure things out on my 7000, but they sound similar. Also something I just started using is the My Shortcuts option, I think is what its called. Its in the menu and it allows you to put frequently used features in it so you dont have to hunt around for it. I just recently got my U1/U2 setup after 10 months and really love that feature as well.

I keep hearing the buffer issue but have a hard time believing that its that bad. I take a series of kids pitching and it comes out to about 5 or 6 pictures and cant imagine what you would take that would require more than that. So I am starting to wonder if the buffer issue would be a problem for me. I do shoot RAW, but love the ability of this series of cameras for 2 cards and each card serving a different role.

You will really enjoy it after you starting getting used to moving around in the menus.

I am more curious about the IQ and increased focus points for my next camera, just not sure if I want to go FX, get the 7100 or wait for this mysterious D400 I keep hearing about.

Enjoy your new camera I know you will put it through its paces

AC016

In regards to the buffer issue, it may get somewhat better with new frimware - it did for Canons 7D. Something else you can try, is to turn off specific processing features, such as:Auto Distortion, Long exposure NR and Auto ISO sensitivity. Less processing time on your files within the camera will help dumping the pictures on your SD card faster.

RockyNH_RIP

Pat, dont forget YouTube, I am sure FroKnowsPhoto has something on the 7100. It took me a while to figure things out on my 7000, but they sound similar. Also something I just started using is the My Shortcuts option, I think is what its called. Its in the menu and it allows you to put frequently used features in it so you dont have to hunt around for it. I just recently got my U1/U2 setup after 10 months and really love that feature as well.

I keep hearing the buffer issue but have a hard time believing that its that bad. I take a series of kids pitching and it comes out to about 5 or 6 pictures and cant imagine what you would take that would require more than that. So I am starting to wonder if the buffer issue would be a problem for me. I do shoot RAW, but love the ability of this series of cameras for 2 cards and each card serving a different role.

You will really enjoy it after you starting getting used to moving around in the menus.

I am more curious about the IQ and increased focus points for my next camera, just not sure if I want to go FX, get the 7100 or wait for this mysterious D400 I keep hearing about.

Enjoy your new camera I know you will put it through its paces

Thanks Kevin!! That feature (I just looked it up) is called My Menu! Looks pretty nice... I will look at that, appreciate it.

I did look at some videos last night and will likely tonight too!...

Buffer, 5 or 6 pictures will go fine.. so you should avoid the "choke" :)

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Come on Pat, you've got to give us at least one picture before you go. :) Just one...

Ok, snapped a couple quick shots when I got home (before the rains started!!) Nothing super but 1st posted from the 7100

My benefactor for the 7100....

DSC_0097.jpg

2 of the dogs... Herbie stayed in the doorway and just watched us!! Jingles is outside with us
and snuggles refused to pose!!

DSC_0098.jpg DSC_0099.jpg

A flower from the boxes on the deck... amd looking out over the deck....

DSC_0101.jpg DSC_0103.jpg

So, the 7100 works!! Now I just have to figure it all out!!

Have fun shooting...

Pat in NH

Moab Man

Just like Rocky I just got one too. I've had my D7100 since Monday (coming from the D5100) and while everyone does these in-depth reviews here is my quick rundown of the highlights that just jump out at you.

1. Viewfinder is larger and much brighter. This is a big deal for myself since I wear glasses.
2. Focus - Nailing the shot is so much easier with the selectable focus points. A single point focus is nice but shooting quick activity it's easy to miss. Being able to select 9 (or more) focus points (3x3 cluster) makes the action easier to follow and capture it.
3. ISO noise is cleaner. While working on some photo's I had one of those "I could have had a V8" bonk to the forehead moments when it dawned on me that I was working at 400 ISO and I couldn't tell.
4. The screen is brighter and sharper.
5. The DX to 1.3 additional crop (artificial zoom) is really nice. Didn't think much of the idea until I started shooting with it.
6. The lower locking button for the stacked dials is awkward to use and pretty much takes two hands to operate the lock and the dial.
7. You feel dumb for a while trying to remember where everything is when you want it.

​That's my 5 cents.