Is this normal behavior for the D3200?

Jillspinsaround

I've had my D3200 for a year now and am finally comfortable with the basic functions. I picked up the camera a couple weeks ago after several months of no photography. I honestly can't recall if I was having this issue previously.

I have no problem when taking photos through the viewfinder; however, when I use live view there seems to be a shutter delay regardless of the shutter speed. I can set the shutter at, say 1/125 and when I depress the shutter release button completely I hear two sounds. Immediately I hear a click (shutter open??) followed a few seconds later (about 3 sec) by another click (shutter closed??) Even in continuous mode I can't take another photo until the camera goes through this process. It doesn't seem to affect the general quality of my photos - I just took a practice shot in live view (1/500) and the quality is quite good. Is this normal?

AC016

Nothing wrong with ur cam, that is how it should sound. My 5100 did the same thing. I would get out of liv view if you are doing continous shooting.

nickt

If you think about it, the shutter is already open in live view. So when you take the shot, the shutter needs to close to get ready, then it opens for the exposure time, then it closes to end the exposure. Then finally, it opens to go back to live view. So extra clicks,extra time. It also increments your shutter count by 2 for each shot.

Jillspinsaround

Thanks for your replies. I'm not thrilled that this is normal operation for the D3200, but at least I can avoid using live view when I'm taking continuous shots.

Thanks for your replies. I'm not thrilled that this is normal operation for the D3200, but at least I can avoid using live view when I'm taking continuous shots.

Not just the D3200. It is normal for all the cameras. That is just the way it is. There are not to many instances where you really need to use live preview. The view finder works much better for 95% of the shots you take.