D300 buying advice

adam500

A local store near me has a D300 with an 80-200 2.8 AF ED two ring lens. It is on consignment and the owner is asking 1.2K but will take 1K for the combo. I looked it over and here is what I found.

Body:
-Looks to be in good shape 90-95% only can find one rub spot on the bottom
-Pulled a picture and the exif data showed 1.6 million shutter actuations (Is that possible?) Seem way too high for the condition

Lens:
-Takes decent pictures from what I could see in the LCD screen zooming around.
-AF works
-The AF/MF ring is broken but still works just have to mess with it.
-Lens has some type of spotting on the internal elements(Fungus?) but doesnt seem to effect the photos from the sample pictures I took.

Here is my take. Right now I am considering this camera and sending the lens in to get worked on. The thing that scares me is that internal fungus and the shutter count. What are your opinions and what should I offer?

Thanks,
Adam

evan447

i would avoid both. a camera with an enormous shutter count and an obviously dodgy lens would be far too much of a gamble for me.

Horoscope Fish

I'd have to pass. If the lens was in A1 shape I might consider the deal, but it's not and the shutter count leaves me scratching my head. You're willing to break into the fourth digit price-wise, and that being the case, methinks you can do better than this. I suggest you keep looking.

Moab Man

That kind of money is way to close to having a brand new D7100 that in almost every aspect tops the D300 and has warranties.

I looked on eBay and you can pick up an almost new (less than 3500 clicks) D300 body for about $500.00 that leaves about $700.00 to pick up a mint condition lens.

adam500

Thanks for the advice I was hoping to offer 600 or so but I will just stay away. Probably end up getting the d7000 since the price has came down.

fotojack

Everyone here that knows me knows that I absolutely LUST after the D300, and I will tell you............RUN from this one! He's trying to unload it on some poor unsuspecting amateur that knows little about cameras and lenses. And 1.6 million shutter count??? I think not. I'm guessing you read it wrong.

MarcelM

I just picked one up for a little over $500 with accessories and I love it! You can find a good one on "the bay" for around $500 like mentioned. Leaves a little bit extra for a lens possibly instead of going for the d7000

fotojack

I just picked one up for a little over $500 with accessories and I love it! You can find a good one on "the bay" for around $500 like mentioned. Leaves a little bit extra for a lens possibly instead of going for the d7000

How many actuations does it have? If it's less than 30k, you got a great deal. :)