Smoky Mountain Elk

Joseph Bautsch

I just returned from a 4 day trip up to the Smoky Mountains to get some fall color shots. I was fortunate enough to come across something that has not been seen in the Smokies in at least 100 years. Two small herds of Elk have been re-introduced in the Smokies in the last couple of years, one group on the north side and one on the south side. I came across this bull and six cows in a road side field near Smoke Mount on the south side.

EXIF: D90, 70-30mm VRII, CPL Filter, ISO: 640, Focal Length: 180mm, f/5.6, Shutter Speed: 1/160, Auto WB, Aperture Priority, Focus Distance 69 ft., Focus Point: Mid Chest, Post Processing in Aperture 3.

_DSC5714.jpg

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Great capture, Joseph, and what a gorgeous animal! I remember our camping trips to the Smokies when we lived on the east coast many years ago. Absolutely beautiful country.

Best Regards

Fotojo

Great shot Joseph, he is a beautiful animal. Wish there was some way to make sure the next shot taken of is still with a Camera.

Joseph Bautsch

Thanks for the comments everyone. The only predator around for these animals is man. They stopped the poaching of the Black Bear some years ago. Now they have to have a short open season on the bears to keep the population under control. I imagine they will have to do the same thing sometime in the future with the Elk.