what lens series will work on a D200?

Dave_W

The Dude
Yes, it will work just fine. But just to be clear, it will be in full manual, not just focus. Which means you'll also have to dial in the shutter speed to get the exposure right (the camera's meter will work and help you find the right exposure) and you will have to physically dial in the aperture.

Whiskeyman

They should work in Aperture priority and manual modes on the D200. Shutter priority, not so much.

​Some of these lenses are still sought after for their superb optics.

hifisapi

They should work in Aperture priority and manual modes on the D200. Shutter priority, not so much.

​Some of these lenses are still sought after for their superb optics.
So if I put the camera in aperture priority autoexposure mode and set any aperture I like, the camera will automatically meter for and set a shutter speed for me without me having to set that shutter speed by hand, correct?

Dave_W

The Dude
Kinda, the meter will let you know if you're above or below the proper exposure and the way you'll do this is to adjust the shutter speed slower or faster. So the only thing that is "auto" will be the metering. Everything else, from focus, aperture and shutter speed will be set by you.

hifisapi

Kinda, the meter will let you know if you're above or below the proper exposure and the way you'll do this is to adjust the shutter speed slower or faster. So the only thing that is "auto" will be the metering. Everything else, from focus, aperture and shutter speed will be set by you.
oh, so that's not really autoexposure, that's metered manual.

hifisapi

to get a meter reading with AI or AIS lenses, does one have to push a button and is the meter reading open aperture or does the camera "stop down" the lens to get a meter reading?

Whiskeyman

Ok, now I'm confused. The D200 manual shows that M and A Modes are available with these lenses. I thought that meant that you set the aperture and the camera would set the proper shutter speed for exposure. I'm now going to have to revisit how this applies to my D90.

Dave_W

The Dude
Ok, now I'm confused. The D200 manual shows that M and A Modes are available with these lenses. I thought that meant that you set the aperture and the camera would set the proper shutter speed for exposure. I'm now going to have to revisit how this applies to my D90.

Actually, I think you're right