12 point system for critique

wud

I read the rules and Im feeling......... wow. Its too much. Maybe I dont know anything about the light in a picture, but I got just 5 words for the composition - wont I be allowed to post then?

When I write from my phone, it would take me like 1 hour to get through all those points.

I do understand you wish to make critiques better, but is there a need for that? I only posted few pics for critique but I think I got some very good answers. Right now people dont want to write in my latest post, to make sure not to break any rules - thats so bad (for me).

Could this 12 point system maybe be a guideline, and not a rule??

mikew_RIP

New here so being a little careful,too many rules can spoil a good thing and stop some very talented people commenting, due to lack of time or inclination,i posted a picture in there and only wanted an answer on one aspect,would that be the wrong place to post now.
As guide lines for where your comments should come from great but as a must do, not so sure about that.

mike

Rexer John

The critique section seems to have strict rules imposed.

e.g.
Critiques that do not include a total score will be deleted

No idea how many posts get deleted but the critique section doesn't seen to be tightly moderated, a good thing in my opinion but who knows when it will be strongly pruned back.

Many people have posted good info to help the OP's but I think many also avoid giving help because they want to follow the rules and not upset the people that run this great website.

nickt

Funny, I was actually going to post a suggestion on this topic when I had some free time, but I will just add to this thread.

There are a lot of 'non-conforming' posts in the Photo Critique forum. Usually it is someone just asking for pointers or encouragement or just a quick "do you like it?". Moderators sometimes remove posts and point out the rules. Sometimes people get annoyed. Personally, I avoid the critique forum because I don't feel qualified to submit a photo or comment properly.

My suggestion to improve this situation is to expand the focus of the critique forum. Let folks post one or even a small set of pictures and ask for tips or a casual critique. For those that have a really great image and want a formal evaluation from the more experienced members, they could note 'formal critique' in the subject line and follow all the rules to request critique, including adhering to the one image limit.

If someone knows their picture is bad they could put 'help' in the subject line.

If someone does not read the rules, then most likely they will not bother to type 'formal critique' in the subject and no harm is done. Typing 'formal critique' would serve to attract those familiar with the formal critique process and set the tone for the thread.

Using the subject line to define what is wanted would allow beginners and experts to all participate in the same forum without fear of breaking the rules.

Alternatively, maybe split the Critique Forum into a Formal Critique and a Casual Critique/Help! forum. I realize there are many places we can post to get advice or casual critique, but having the two forums right next to each other might make it more clear where to post if you are not looking for formal 12pt critique. Mods could also easily move a post to the casual forum if the more strict rules are not followed.

ohkphoto

Snow White
All good and valid points. We have been wrestling with this since the forum started. Some people want a really detailed critique, others don't want to hear anything other than "great photo".

I think most people use the 12 points as guidelines. it helps you focus on something concrete rather than, "I just don't like your photo, but I don't know why."

I know the "threat to delete" sounds harsh, but all we ask is that you try. I rarely delete a critique that was made in good effort. Critiques need a little more than "I like it." If I posted the photo, I want to know what you liked or didn't like, or what I could have done differently.

We have many threads where people can "play" . This section is designed for photographers who want to take their photography to the next level. . . a place where other photographers will give a good analysis of the photo, which requires looking at the photo several times and using some kind of standard.

Nothing is set in stone, so your suggestions are well taken and I'm sure we'll be discussing this further.

mikew_RIP

All good and valid points. We have been wrestling with this since the forum started. Some people want a really detailed critique, others don't want to hear anything other than "great photo".

I think most people use the 12 points as guidelines. it helps you focus on something concrete rather than, "I just don't like your photo, but I don't know why."

I know the "threat to delete" sounds harsh, but all we ask is that you try. I rarely delete a critique that was made in good effort. Critiques need a little more than "I like it." If I posted the photo, I want to know what you liked or didn't like, or what I could have done differently.

We have many threads where people can "play" . This section is designed for photographers who want to take their photography to the next level. . . a place where other photographers will give a good analysis of the photo, which requires looking at the photo several times and using some kind of standard.

Nothing is set in stone, so your suggestions are well taken and I'm sure we'll be discussing this further.

Would this still be the correct section to post if you where only asking for feed back on one aspect then.

mike

Dave_W

The Dude
No one hates rules more than I do. However, in this case it does make sense to have some pretty strict rules.

The idea behind the critique section is meant to be for people looking for a more professional and thorough critique on their image and not a "hey everyone, check out this shot I took this morning"-type place. If you have a shot that you is cool and want to know what others think of it, then feel free to post it in the 365 or blog section along with your questions. The critique section, however, is meant to provide a serious and thorough evaluation against the 12 merits that comprise a top quality image and reserved for those people looking for an honest critical review and thus should be an image you feel is one of the best you've ever shot. That is why we insist it be only a single image that you feel is worthy of such an in-depth analysis. Otherwise, it's best to post your cool shots in the other sections.

Being so new to photography (less than 8 months total) I personally don't feel qualified/knowledgeable enough to critique anyones photos, using a 12 point system or not. But I do know if I do or don't like something, so going by all that, if I like a photo I will click th Like / Thanks tab at the bottom right of every submitted photo. Conversely if I don't like the photo for whatever reason, I won't be doing any clicking.

ohkphoto

Snow White
We all learn by doing, and learning keeps us on top of our game and from going stale. Try analyzing a photo using the 12 merits and you may be surprised how much you will learn.

wud

Havent been here so long yet, but I dont see people posting away without head in that section? Has this been an issue before?

Not really thinking I should have posted the pictures I did in critique, they are not the best I have shot - I posted them there because I really wanted to know what I could have done better.

grandpaw

I personally have never done a critique and do not plan on it do to all the rules. I think that it is good to give reasons you like or dislike a picture so everyone can learn from it and that just saying it is nice accomplishes nothing, but having all these rules goes from one extreme to the other.

Whiskeyman

We all learn by doing, and learning keeps us on top of our game and from going stale. Try analyzing a photo using the 12 merits and you may be surprised how much you will learn.
You can also learn a lot by reading others' critiques of photos that are not your own.
But when you get serious and start putting your images out there for formal critical review, not only do you learn, you begin to try to craft the image more intently.

nickt

I don't participate in the critique forum. I have nothing against it. In fact I do read through it often and I learn from it. But more posts than not aren't following the strict rules. I think most of us would enjoy a more relaxed, casual critique forum with less rules 'right next door' to the existing forum. Sure there are many places within Nikonites to do that, but I think the forum title 'Photo Critique' is an eye catcher for someone looking for comments and tips. As human nature is, many people do not read the rules in the sticky. Having a casual and a formal critique forum right next to each other as sub-forums would help posters make the right choice avoid the wrath of the mods while still keeping the integrity of the formal critique for those that enjoy it.

ohkphoto

Snow White
and a formal critique forum right next to each other as sub-forums would help posters make the right choice avoid the wrath of the mods while still keeping the integrity of the formal critique for those that enjoy it.

wrath.jpg

I obviously have nothing better to do tonight :cool:

WhiteLight

Let me tell you by personal experience that the critique section is absolutely right the way it is.
I've started shooting just over a year now & some of the important things i learned were from the critique section...
It's still out there, check it out if you'd like...

I know it is quite tedious & I don't critique but do ask cos i don't think i am anywhere near competent enough for it... not just cos it's too much work.
In a lot of my posts i ask for general feedback & i do receive a whole lot of them...

The critique section WILL help any new photographer..
you do realize it is tough, but there are a lot of experienced folks who take the time & effort to give you that added education.
However your critique turns out, it still make you feel much better & you certainly will learn something new.

I guess posting in the 'Learning Photography' section will get you that general feedback

I obviously have nothing better to do tonight :cool:

Seems like i don't either :p

WeeHector

I've recently arrived on the forum, just after I bought my first DSLR and I have now posted 3 photos to the critique section. They are shots that please me but i have been taking photos long enough to know that what is a super shot for the taker may be total garbage to most of those who look at it, the "holiday snap syndrome". I am currently experimenting, so nothing is off limits, even though I know I will get maybe one good shot in every hundred. Even in that case, it is great to get feedback from those in the know about what could be improved. The day I get nothing but "Yes, I like it" replies is the day I shall start to worry about my abilities.