Greetings from the Bay area

GeoWes

Greetings to all,

I joined a few days ago, posted a few photos, and wandered about the forums. Now I should step up and say hi. My name is Walt Copenhaver, owner of Any Creative Universe. I sometimes use my stage name on my work, which is George Wesley (a holdover from my rock musician days) and almost always online.

I used Pentax, Minolta and Chinon in the 35mm format, and Roloflex, Haslebad, Mamaylia, Brownie (yeah, no kidding) and some 4x5’s during the film days. I decided on Nikon to make the transition into digital and picked up the D5100 kit with 18-55mm and a 55-200mm. Earlier this year I moved up to the D600 with a Tamron AF 28-300mm A20, because the D5100 felt too much like a toy and time consuming to change settings. The D600 is so much better. But the D5100 is nice to carry around in areas that you don’t want to carry 4K worth of gear.

I tell the IRS that I’m an artist by trade, and that includes mostly photography, but graphic design and some writing, too, mixing it around with Lightroom, Photoshop and Illustrator. I started shooting in the mid 60’s but not seriously until 1980. I love the sound of the shutter release so I go out and shoot everything.

My current photo projects involve the Idle No More movement and the Indigenous communities of the Bay area. There is an online Native American News site that is trying to turn me into a photo-journalist so on June 21, I will be up near Burney with the Pitt River Nation shooting the 35[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual 500mi Native American Spiritual Marathon and trying to write an article about it. I should have some nice shots to post from that. Not too sure about the article.

I’m glad I stumbled onto Nikonites; you answered a few issues that had me stuttering, and I‘ve seen some fantastic photography, which is always good. Thanks. I look forward to the future.