Airport Scanner and Digital Camera

Watch72

How comfortable are you each time you put your camera through the airport scanner. I am aware that sensor when expose to high cosmic rays such as traveling on an airplane can actually cause pixel to go dead. In such event, how often you go and check your camera for dead pixel?

MrF

I've never had an issue, and I've put mine through airport scanners dozens of times. If you're concerned about the solar/celestial radiation from being at altitude on a plane, I don't think it's cause for too much concern. I have a Kodak P&S that I've carried in my helmet bag on every flight for the past 4 years, flying on average 4-6 times a week and it's still going strong.

WhiteLight

I been on planes numerous times and haven't any dead pixels...

Ditto.

The XRay scanners are safe to the cameras & memory cards.
Films maybe a different issue...some say it does, some say it don't.
But one thing that can affect your memory cards (and other storage devices) are magnets...
Like the hand held metal detector..

Watch72

I been on planes numerous times and haven't any dead pixels...

I guess, you are right... maybe I am overly concern. But if there is indeed a hot pixel, will it be clearly visible in the photograph. Say typically a large sensor 24~36MP camera, is there a level it can tolerate (% of hot pixels) before it becomes an issue. Is there a way to check on our own?

This is an old link where this was mentioned.

Primer on Film and Digital Capture by Rob Hummel at Cine Gear Expo 2011 - YouTube

STM

X-rays are a far greater threat to film than than to digital cameras. I never let my film go though the X-ray scanners. I always took it out of the box and left it in the plastic cans. I didn't care if I had to take each roll out of the can and show it to the security people, I was not going to take the chance of them fogging my film.