"For" error on CF card

deaner

Newbie here,

end of the day shooting on Saturday and my 800 flashed a CF card Format error.

Can someone run through the possibilities?
I was about 28 gigs in on a 32 Kingston elite pro card. (I know I should have been using 8s)

What are the chances I get their raw pics back?
Can someone recommend the best data recovery software for a mac?
Would it be more secure/higher probability of getting the pics back to just take it to a store?
I obviously have never had a problem like this before.

When I plug the card into my computer it says "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
salvageable or bad?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Krs_2007

Check to see if the card manufacturer has a recovery app you can download. Also try to search here on the forums as I seem to remember a recent post that is similar.

Have you plugging the camera into your computer via the USB cable ?

Also try another card reader.

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

piperbarb

Have you tried leaving the card in the camera, connecting the camera via USB port to your computer and reading the card that way?

deaner

Thanks Kevin and Barbara,

yes I did try to recycle the camera by taking out the batteries, I tried to connect the camera with the USB cable, as well as trying it through a card reader. I had the same basic error with each step. Anyone experienced this?

Krs_2007

Have you checked with Kingston for any utilities that might help recover the data. That's about the only other thing I can think of.

Best of luck and keep us updated

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

John Lang

I bought some Kingston cards and they never worked in the D800. Stick to the list of approved cards and potentially (hopefully) you won't have this problem again. Kingston does have recovery software on their site. Mac and PC.

RobertsPhotog

Ken Rockwell has said that he only recommends Sandisk cards for Nikon. That's what I stick with and I've never had an issue.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta