lens addition

gman

Hello again, I wanted to get some feedback on a few lenses, I'm leaning towards the 50mm 1.4G or a macro... the 60mm or the 40, but the 40 would really bring you up close and personal. I read a review in a magazine that the Sigma 105mm F2.8 beat out both Nikon's 85mm and 105 mm Macro lenses, much sharper. I'll most likely still get a Nikon. thanks...g
My lenses now, I have two, the 16-85 and the 70-300 VRII G.

Last edited:
Which camera do you have?

I have the 40mm Macro and love it. The problem with it is that you have to get up close and personal and that is not always good. The good thing about it is that is is inexpensive and very sharp.

Money permitting I would get at least the 105 if I were you. It all depends on what you want to do with the lens.

Mike150

Hey GMan I have the Nikon 105 and love it. I still consider myself a rookie, so it took a while to get used to, but I'm learning.
Like Don said. you don't have go get right up on top of your subject to still get a really good shot.

gman

Hey Don, I have the Nikon D7100, still learning how to get along with it, but it will happen. The 105 was a thought, read that that is also a good sharp lens. I have an old Nikkor AI-S 105 f/1.8, really a nice lens. The 50 mm AF is supposed to be sharp as well and good in low light. I'm in no hurry.

''The most beautiful people I have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."...... Elisabeth Kubler Ros

doonhamer

''The most beautiful people I have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."...... Elisabeth Kubler Ros[/QUOTE]

Well I guess I'm not beautiful but to be honest I'm glad if that's what it takes:joyous:

FastGlass

I own the 105mm Nikon macro. I chose that lense so I didn't need to get as close to what ever it was that I was trying to shoot. I love the lense and have no issues with it.
All my lenses are Nikon brand. I personally would never own a third party lense. I reallize third party lenses are very good and sometimes they perform better. But as far as i'm concerned you get what you pay for and a lense is something you will carry with you much longer than what your mounting it to.

jwstl

This is 2013, not 1983. Some third party lenses are much better than the Nikon versions and less expensive. And then there are the lenses others offer and Nikon doesn't. And just because it has a Nikon label does mean it's good. I buy the best regardless of name. I have a lot of Nikon lenses but I have third party ones as well. If being a lens snob gets you through day then good for you. But I advise others considering third party lenses to continue to do so and don't let the opinion of someone who cares more about what others think of his gear sway you. That Sigma 150 macro is incredible.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The question you should ask yourself is "What do I want to do with the lens"? If you're looking for a macro lens, would it be for flowers or insects? Or are you just looking at having a fast all around prime?

​I think you should answer those questions before you start shopping for a lens.

gman

I always make my own decisions jwstl, but it's good to ask questions, it's a good way to learn and possibly find out something you didn't know, like this is 2013...thanks. :eek:) BTW the Sigma is a 105mm.
The 150 sigma is a different beast , but from what I've read in NPhoto on bench test's, the 105 is a bit sharper.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well I do have a Sigma 105 2.8 macro and I just love it. I bought it because it was not only cheaper than the Nikon, but also smaller and lighter. I don't feel that I miss the VR function in macro mode anyway.

Epoc

Hello again, I wanted to get some feedback on a few lenses, I'm leaning towards the 50mm 1.4G or a macro...

If you want advice on a lens to buy, you really need to give us info on what you want to shoot with it. The 50/1.4 is a great portrait, low light, general use lens. Not sure on its macro ability. Seems to me your looking at different use lenses. Best bang for buck macro lens around is the Tamron 90mm, cheap as chips and sharp as a tack. For general use, portrait, low light, the 50/1.8 is awesome value. If it's bokeh you want, the 50/1.4 is your go to choice.

BTW, Sigma do a 150mm macro as well as a 105mm.

FastGlass

I realize this is 2013 so thanks for the reminder. Not really sure what the year has to do with anything but what ever. I only buy Nikon lenses mostly because I know their going to work with my camera and flash. When ever shooting with flash in TTl mode not all third party lenses will work as a system. You lose some of the features. So I cant see spending money on something if its not going to work all the time. Sorry if I came across as a lense snob. I geuss I should have been more clear as to why I choose what I choose.

gman

FastGlass, the 2013 comment was sent to me from another member, not sure why either, but it was stated. I have always used Nikkor lenses, even back in the day. Never had any issues with them. But I suppose the more features a modern lens has built in to it, the more it has a chance of failure. It's all in the glass. I don't think your a lens snob at all, keep shooting.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will probably get the 50 mm 1.4 next, and down the road get a macro. I don't use close up much, but when you need one it's there. I have read reviews in NPhoto of different Macro's and the report is the Sigma 105 wins, the Nikon 105, has the best build quality, but not as sharp. The 40mm shows a bit of pincushioning. I can wait.

"We face ourselves and others equally when we discover that there is a universal bond of feelings in which to connect, that doesn't have a hierarchy of better or worse."