speedlite or strobe studio lighting

Edb

hello. I've started playing around with studio lighting. At the moment I've got an sb900 & sb600 with a 9foot ( wide) while vinyl back drop. Ive had some fun with hi-key portraits but im finding that the background is going off grey as I have the 2 flashes as key light ( front right) and fill(front left). I was thinking of maybe getting a couple of yongnuo yn565ex's to light the back and " burn it out" . Now, to confuse things, Ive found some neewer 3x300 mains strobe lights. They seem to be getting good reviews. How will they compare to speedlite for power and recharge time. Also if I ever got through the wireless TTL route im guessing either will work fine. I was told by a professional studio photographer that the cheaper strobe light arent consistent with light power and colour. Is this the case, if so then id be better off going for the speedlite as I cant afford some proper lights. heres the link for the lights if anyone has the time to look.
thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3X300W-Ligh...o-Strobe/dp/B003LZ6LYU/ref=pd_vtp_computers_5[h=2][/h]

pedroj

I bought a cheap set of lights and used them successfully for many years now....Up to 1500 images in a day...

Mine came from Hong Kong and cost less then $400 Aussie Dollars

A lot of these things are produced in China these days and may well be as good as some of the name brands...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
How will they compare to speedlite for power and recharge time. Also if I ever got through the wireless TTL route im guessing either will work fine. I was told by a professional studio photographer that the cheaper strobe light arent consistent with light power and colour. Is this the case, if so then id be better off going for the speedlite as I cant afford some proper lights. heres the link for the lights if anyone has the time to look.
thanks

Speedlights will not be able to match the power of the strobes. Cycle times varies just like your SB 900 vs SB600. Your SB900 speed light cycles in less than two seconds when used with a newly charged batteries. Both strobes and speedlights have their own pros and cons.

Anytime you use a white background, you will get a grayish color on the background if you don't illuminate it.

I use both strobes and speedlights. The speedlights are set as slave (SU4) mode. I use them to illuminate the background or as hair highlight, and to remove any shadows around the neck.

I would suggest the Alienbees and cybercommander transmitter/ receiver.

Paul C. Buff - AlienBees

Edb

thanks, thinkign of the stobes option. how many do i need? Ive got a 9ft wide back drop so do i need one or two lights to illuminate it, then im guessign 2 lights to the front./ sides. so the question is 3 or 4 lights.....

my simple plan is startgin to get expensive.
BTW Glenn, I cant get alienbees over in the uk, they've stopped shipping them. thanks anyway for the tip

pedroj

I have 2 lights + umbrellas and stands...I usually place them about 10 feet to the side of where I'm shooting...

Have a look at youtube...Great tuition videos on it,,,