D3200 takes too long to take next shot

pro752

I recently have purchased a new D3200 camera. I have a Class10 16 GB flash card and using the lens 18-55MM that came with the camera.

When I take a shot, it take about 10-15 seconds before I can take the next shot.

I reset to factory setting but cannot speed up the shot taking. i was expecting Niko to be fast in taking pictures.

Can anyone recommend what could be causing this delay in between shots.

Thanks

​Pro728

Dave_W

The Dude
Is there anything special about the shots that cause the 15 sec delay? For instance, are you taking long exposure shots when this happens or does it happen independent to the length of your exposure?

nikonpup

i had this problem, it drove me nuts waiting for the picture to load. Solution, replace the card.
Did this card come with the camera?

WayneF

The D3200 can take four frames per second if in Continuous mode, so yes, it is very capable.

Perhaps not very likely, but all I can think of is, if the shutter speed is very long (a few seconds), then the optional Noise Reduction feature essentially doubles it, until the next picture can be taken.

My guess is it might be something much more simple. Make sure the self-timer is not set on. I mean, like what else could it be?

Mfrankfort

Check the card, and make sure that the shutter speed isn't set to something high for some reason.. 1/15 and 15 are different. haha. Might be a faulty card... Cards are pretty cheap to try another one, and I'm sure you got a few laying around somewhere.

nickt

Just a couple more guesses... You are not using the flash, right? That could add a few seconds if it needs to fully charge. Not 15 seconds though, maybe 3. Also, is the camera focusing quickly? A low light scene might make your auto focus struggle for a few seconds. Try a bright outdoor scene to see if there is a delay.

Gumbys69

Mine is quite the opposite, I was amazed how quick I could take the next pic. I bought the fastest card possible though.

macsully

I recently purchased a refurbished D3200 and a new San Disk 16GB class 10 45mb/sec card and have the same problem. I have also updated the firmware to v1.03.
The solid green card read light goes on and I can't review an image or bring up the menu screen after turning on the camera for the first time. After the camera is on and this delay of 10-15 seconds passes, the camera is fast to take pictures, review pictures, zoom in on image playback, access the menu etc. Does anyone have any ideas? Bad camera body? Bad card? Or is this just how the 3200 operates? I have copied pictures from my camera to my PC, no issues. I'm not taking long exposures or shooting in low light either.

SteveH

I recently purchased a refurbished D3200 and a new San Disk 16GB class 10 45mb/sec card and have the same problem. I have also updated the firmware to v1.03.
The solid green card read light goes on and I can't review an image or bring up the menu screen after turning on the camera for the first time. After the camera is on and this delay of 10-15 seconds passes, the camera is fast to take pictures, review pictures, zoom in on image playback, access the menu etc. Does anyone have any ideas? Bad camera body? Bad card? Or is this just how the 3200 operates? I have copied pictures from my camera to my PC, no issues. I'm not taking long exposures or shooting in low light either.

Do you have sensor cleaning set to work when turning on the camera? If so, turn it off and try again - I only use the sensor cleaning when I have changed lenses.

Also, when you copy images to your PC, are you formatting the card in the PC, or "Cutting" the images? The card maybe getting reformatted by the camera if it can't see its default folders.

Horoscope Fish

My first suspicion is *always* the SD card; regardless of what the label says and doubly so if was bought off eBay or some or other questionable source. Even if the card has a good pedigree, I would still go to a legit, brick and mortar place to get a different SD card and see if that didn't solve the problem. If it didn't, I'd do a factory reset and see where that got me.

The behavior you are experiencing is certainly not what you should expect from a D3200. My GF shot one for a long time and it's very fast, very capable DSLR.