Best lens for landscapes?

SacrificeTheory

Hey,

I'm looking for a new lens for landscapes....

Originally I was going to get the
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens, but then others told me the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens would be better for landscape shots. Any suggestions?

I think eventually when I have more money I'm going to get the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens.

Oh, and currently my camera I'm using is the Nikon D70. Eventually I will be getting the Nikon D7100.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since landscape usually does not move, you can use a tripod and almost any lens that you use around f8-11 will give you excellent results. I find that for landscape pictures, a wider lens is usually preferred and 35mm could even be a little long for the DX cropped sensor. If you presently have a 18-55, it could very well be the best lens to use on your D70.

Rick M

I agree with Marcel, the 18-55 is a great lens, don't need speed for landscapes. The 35mm 1.8g is a great little prime, but still not very wide. Some my best landscapes were shot with the Nikon 16-85 VR. If I could have only one Dx lens, that would be the one.

Dave_W

The Dude
I agree with all the above, the wider the better for a single image but if you wanted to prepare a panorama landscape, I would use the 35mm lens. Other than this, the only advice I can add is to understand the concept of the hyperfocal distance and how to guesstimate where it is (unless you like to carry a calculator around with you! ;))

MrF

Before I got my Tokina 11-16mm, my landscape lens was the 18mm end of my 18-105. If you don't have an 18-55, they're pretty cheap and would let you get a feel for a wider focal length than the 35mm.

MrF

I agree with all the above, the wider the better for a single image but if you wanted to prepare a panorama landscape, I would use the 35mm lens. Other than this, the only advice I can add is to understand the concept of the hyperfocal distance and how to guesstimate where it is (unless you like to carry a calculator around with you! ;))

I always have a calculator on me, Dave. It's my smartphone with a DOF calculator app. Has helped on more than one occasion. :D