Hotshoe mounted GPS module?

wjax

I have a D600 with a RRS L-bracket which makes plugging in anything into the ports on the side of the camera impractical in the field. It looks like most, if not all, GPS units plug into one of the ports on the side. Does anyone know if there a GPS module available for the D600 which mounts on the flash socket on top of the camera without any connection to the side of the camera? My Pentax K-5 had this option but I am not sure about Nikon.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Have you considered a bluetooth setup? Not sure if that will work with your bracket though.

I currently use a bluetooth setup with my D300 by Aokatec. It works very well and no cables. They have a solution for the D600 but it is also side mounted.

AK4NIII-3.JPG

Last week I ordered a Dawntech Eco ProFessional to replace the AK-4NII that supports the D4, D3, D3S, D3X, D700, D800, D800E, D300, D300S, D2XS, D2X, D2HS, D200 & Fujifilm S5 Pro. It is new to the market and only available via their website in Hong Kong. (I'm tracking my shipment and it should arrive early next week.) I decided to get it because it is weather sealed and won't require charging/carrying another device (the bluetooth GPS receiver). Purely a convenience decision. They have a similar solution called the Eco ProSumer for the D600, D7000, D7100, D5000, D5100, D5200 D3100, D3200 and Coolpix P7700 - again side mounted.

PF-1_02-600x600.jpg PS-1_02-600x600.jpg

wjax

Thanks a lot for the info. It looks like your bluetooth solution still requires usage of a side port though. I guess no one makes a hotshoe-only GPS module for the D600.