Fine Tuning Focus

Fred Kingston

I'm posting this here because it seems logical to me...but this probably applies to more cameras than the D7000... If it's wrong, I don't have any problem with a MOD moving it to a more appropriate section...

I have a pretty eclectic collection of lenses... mostly primes... but also evenly divided between older lenses, and newer vintage G lenses... I also have SpyderLensCal for calibrating all of these dozen or more lenses... <--don't hate me... it's a disease... :D

All my newer lenses, except the 85mm 1.8G have required from -6 to -17 fine adjustments... The 84G didn't require any adjustment...

None of my older AF lenses have required any adjustments...

​Just an observation....

AC016

That is very interesting. How long have you had the D7000? That was one of the main reasons why i avoided the D7000, just in case i came across what you have come across. With my D3000 and D5100, i don't remember ever having a focus issue on either of them. I still wonder why they had to put in fine tune with the D7000 and other cameras. Makes me think that they were not confident that certain cameras would work with certain lenses. I understand that there may be the odd lens out there that may need it, but to have to do it to most of your lenses does not seem right. Anyhow, glad you got your lenses sorted out. Keep focused ;)

Fred Kingston

It was the primary reason I bought the SpyderLensCal thing... I came from a D90... early last year to the D7000 and the back-focus issue was a concern of mine... It seemed like there was too much mis-understanding about what was happening with the D7000, and the conclusion I reached is that most of the returns, and complaints were from folks that simply didn't know how to correct the issues...

AC016

It was the primary reason I bought the SpyderLensCal thing... I came from a D90... early last year to the D7000 and the back-focus issue was a concern of mine... It seemed like there was too much mis-understanding about what was happening with the D7000, and the conclusion I reached is that most of the returns, and complaints were from folks that simply didn't know how to correct the issues...

Either that or people thought it would be a neat idea to play around with the fine focus settings, not knowing what impact it would have on their camera, messing it up and to shy to admit their F-up.