A couple of shots from my first "back to the 60's and '70's" project (NSFW!)

STM

A couple of shots from my first "back to the 60's and '70's" project (NSFW!)

Here are three shots from the first shoot of my "back to the 60's and '70's" project from last weekend. It took me a while to find a model who met the criteria I needed; hair that could be seen back then, no tattoos or piercings (except ears), natural breasts and most of all, strange as it may seem, pubic hair. In fact we postponed the shoot for a month so she could grow hers out a little more so it was typical of the period. The shaven look so popular today (why I will never know) would be completely out of place for back then.

I got my hands on a great condition 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor P "chrome nose" in a pawn shop three weeks ago. He let it go for $50. I almost felt like I was shoplifting I got it for such a steal. My 105mm f/1.8 AIS is just too sharp and contrasty to give me the look I wanted. I used the F2, though it would not really make any difference as far as camera would go, I could have just as easily used the F4S. I used Tri-X but found myself in a dilemma; today's TX is so much better than the TX of old so I developed it in D-76 undiluted at 75° to accentuate the grain. I scanned the negatives with the LS-8000 but did not do any manipulation of any kind, expecially any sharpening. I did not want to lessen the charm of the image.

The poses are typical of a lot of the glamour shots of the period. More casual, carefree and less professional or"posed" looking than you see today.

Now I need to find another model, easier said than done, back to square 1!!

17397213-lg.jpg

17400853-lg.jpg

17401212-lg.jpg

crycocyon

Re: A couple of shots from my first "back to the 60's and '70's" project (NSFW!)

Very carefree and captures the essence of that simpler time. Also how the model isn't so done up with makeup also helps. Can you do anything else to accentuate the grain? Over-develop? Rapid fix?

STM

Re: A couple of shots from my first "back to the 60's and '70's" project (NSFW!)

Very carefree and captures the essence of that simpler time. Also how the model isn't so done up with makeup also helps. Can you do anything else to accentuate the grain? Over-develop? Rapid fix?

Thanks, that was the look I was striving for. You can underexpose and over develop but that adds up to higher contrast, which looks out of place. One reason why I wanted to use a period 105mm was the lower contrast you got with the single amber coatings. It is better to just expose it normally and develop it "hot" in undiluted D-76. Microdol-X gives much finer grain and higher accutance, especially cut 1:3, but that would ruin the effect I wanted to achieve.

Krs_2007

Very nice as always, was surprised that it wasnt on the beach. Great photos Scott.