Nikon D7000

Debrus

I should be getting my Nikon D7000 tomorrow and have been reading up as much as I can on how to do everything. I have had a D5100 for about three years but I think this one has a lot of different settings.
Can anyone tell me if there is a easy to understand setup guide anywhere online? The Nikon manual is not real user friendly. I have thought about downloading Ken Rockwell's settings he has offered online, any comments on this? Thanks for any advice.

Krs_2007

Look up FroKnows photo on youtube and he will walk you through the settings, i found this very helpful. Sorry I dont have the link anymore. There is a ton of info here about 7000 as well, its a great camera.

Found it, there is a part 1 and 2, but seeing how you have previous experience with Nikons you can skip a lot of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZ0z5nRxkw

Last edited:

nickt

While I understand it is tough to get started, just asking for 'settings' or a general setup guide might not get you any closer than using a scene mode or auto. I don't think most D7000 owners have firm general purpose settings. That is the beauty of the camera, you can make it 'yours'. For all the basic settings there are direct buttons to change them on the fly, no easy answer on what to set them at. Your best bet is to learn your camera inside and out so you can decide how to use these tools for the things you like to shoot.

Early on, I got David Busch's Nikon D7000 book and it helped me out. I hear Darrell Young's book is also very good. The Froknowsphoto videos mentioned above give a nice tour too.

But.... Are you completely comfortable with the principals of exposure and do you have a thorough understanding of ISO, shutter speed and aperture? This is key to getting the most enjoyment from this camera. If you are not completely comfortable with those items, there is a great book, 'Understanding Exposure' or there is plenty of free info on the web. The owner's manual and any other setup guides will make much more sense if you already understand how exposure settings work.

Debrus

thanks a lot and yes I understand the terms and am sure it will be easier than I think to get going. I have only used the 5100 for several years and just wondered how everyone else liked it.