D7000 vs D700

Gladiator

Great after a long wait the D7000 is finally here, but as many others i thought it would be an updated D700 but it isn't.

So now i hesitate in buying it and going after the D700 after all that waiting anyways.
Correct me if i'm wrong but yes the 7K has more effective pixels but as we know pixels doesn't always mean better. Compared to the D700 it has a smaller sensor size 23.1 x 15.4mm over 36 x 24 for the D700 now that affects the quality right there. And the uncompressed format is «NEF», D700 has «RAW and TIFF».

I always thought that RAW was considered the clean slate for any pros wanting large format and those using software like Photoshop? What the heck is NEF, never heard of it.

Doing a lot of outdoor photography in winter will the D7K handle the cold-resistant Nikon EN-EL4a battery.

I do love the D7K for the HD video option and it has a better viewfinder range and of course a better price :)

Any opinions? Maybe i'm just clueless...

larry50

It's really more of a choice between a DX camera and an FX camera, so the two are not really comparable.

As to the D7000, I'm waiting to see some reliable reviews regarding the D7000's low light/high ISO performance. I have a D90 and a D700, and the D700 is so amazing in low light that the D7000 will be hard pressed to equal it. I'm assuming the new sensor will produce very high quality pics, as do most all Nikon cameras. So, it depends a lot on the low light performance with the smaller photosites on the D7000. So, it depends on what you are going to use it for. The D700 is a high ISO platform, not a high resolution platform. I might replace the D90 with the D7000, depending on reviews.

In no way, however are either up the league or build quality of the D700 (likely to be replaced in the next nine months if the rumors are true).

It looks, however, like a much more serious camera than the D90. Glad they got rid of the chrome shutter button.

Last edited: