lens focus ring play

Luna Pro

I have just purchased within the last month two Nikon lenses, one being a new 16-85 and the other a refurb from Nikon the 70-300g VR ED . What I 'm trying to find out is, my 16-85 has slight play in the focusing ring. I returned the first one and got another and still has play. I have been calling Nikon about this issue and I finally sent it in for repair, after about two weeks I get it back, just like it was when I sent it in. I again called Nikon and they suggested to send it back in. My question to them was why didn't they fix it while they had it, I sent in a letter describing the issue, and I was told they may not have received the letter in the shop. This obviously left me a little disappointed in Nikon. I kind have lost interest in the equipment. After three times this is not right. Has anyone heard of this or experienced this play in the focus ring. The 70-300 has a very tight zoom ring to the point it doesn't turn smoothly, it kind of sticks if turned slowly by hand, it also makes a noise when moved back and forth gently, Nikon said that was ball bearings :eek:). So, not sure what to do, give up or give in and send them back. Any feedback would certainly help.. thanks. G.

Rick M

Many focus rings on newer lens designs have a built in clutch which often have a little play in them. The clutch prevents the focus mechanism from being damaged when turned past it's maximums either way.

clarnibass

When you say "play", do you mean a "dead zone"? That is, when you turn it one way, then turn it the other way, it rotates a little before it actually starts to change the focus? If that is what you mean, it is normal for many lenses, including some more expensive. Almost all lenses have it, though some so little that it's next to impossible to notice.

Too bad You received what seems like pretty incompetent service...

gman

Thanks clarnibass, yes that is what I mean. If I turn left to right, or vice versa, slowly now, there is a dead zone, not much, but it's there. Glad to hear that's normal. That is the second one I received, and both the same. I wish someone from Nikon would have told me that. I was told to send it back again. I think I'll hold off for a while, I have five years left of warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarnibass

Yes, it is normal for all lenses to have a "dead zone", but on some lenses it's just too little to notice. Amazingly enough, my most expensive lens has the most play while my cheapest lens has the least! Both are Nikon lenses.

Maybe Nikon really didn't get your note, or maybe they didn't understand exactly what the problem was (possibly because it is not a "problem" i.e. just the way it is made).