VR primes

RON_RIP

I for one would like to see more prime lenses with vibration reduction. The sad truth of the matter is that as I have aged I notice a more pronouced tremor that sometimes causes my pics to be not as sharp as I would like. Most of my photos are taken on walk arounds and shot leaning over fences into other people's gardens. A tripod is not always practical. Is it just me or are there more like me out there???

Whiskeyman

I know of at least one, Ron. I first noticed having this problem last fall, and immediately purchased a sturdy but lightweight monopod. It really helps me keep the camera somewhat steady.

​WM

Ruidoso Bill

WhiskeyMan got it right, try an inexpensive lightweight monopod, your shots will sharpen up. You may also investigate higher ISO to get your shutter speed up.

Last edited:

Krs_2007

Monopod is great and easy to carry. Look for a carbon fiber one, I bought a manfrotto for 100.00. It seemed high but has paid for itself in no time. I even put a ball head on it and I take it everywhere with me.

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Horoscope Fish

• Sliced bread
  • Two-ply toilet paper
  • Vaccines
  • Recreational sex
  • Monopods

What do ALL those things have in common?

I wouldn't want to live in a world without them.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If you want VR because of your shaky hands like mine, compensate it with a flash if possible. People who takes the time to capture a specific subject with a tripod will lead to better and sharper images.

I have a 300mm f4 that doesn't have VR. I use it for sports and VR wouldn't even matter since I use shutter speeds above 1/320. I have a 105mm f2.8 VR lens that I use for macro work and I use it with a tripod most of the time and the VR is always off. So, to me, VR is not always the solution. Mind you that I have carpal tunnel syndrome on my dominant hand.

RON_RIP

Have a monopod but it is woefully inadequate. Might look for better one. As I've said before, I am not much of a flasher. There are times when flash is necessary but I generally don't like the effect,but will certainly explore the monopod idea. The idea of a good ball head is intriguing. It could double as walking stick which would solve another age related problem I appreciate everyones comments very much.

co2jae

"I have a 300mm f4 that doesn't have VR. I use it for sports and VR wouldn't even matter since I use shutter speeds above 1/320."

Ummmm....so a big "DUH" light bulb just went off in my head when I read that. I have been hoping to get a longer zoom of 300mm or more to shoot my daughters sporting events with. Cost is an issue for me so I was looking at the 70-300mm VR Nikon. BUT almost all of my shots are 1/320 or above and I have a pretty steady hand. I hadn't thought about the effect of shutter speed on the reduction of vibration of the shot. Perhaps I can go bigger length for cheaper money....thanks as always for giving me insight Nikonites!

JDFlood

I would recommend the Gitzo GM2541. Really good stability, can screw on in a flash. Carbon, so it is pretty light. I still don't like using it, but when there is no choice. JD

pedroj

I for one would like to see more prime lenses with vibration reduction. The sad truth of the matter is that as I have aged I notice a more pronouced tremor that sometimes causes my pics to be not as sharp as I would like. Most of my photos are taken on walk arounds and shot leaning over fences into other people's gardens. A tripod is not always practical. Is it just me or are there more like me out there???

One something like this could be good...

Coman TK287 CV 1 Magnesium Tripod Leg and Head Combo Transformable to Monopod | eBay